Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been riding my 500T for few weeks and find the seat very uncomfortable in comparison with the 450. Hard and I slide forward when braking or when I hit a bump. Is it my seat or do other 500 riders find the same problem and is there a cure?

·
Registered
581 Posts
I assume that you are talking about a stock seat, not some hipster skateboard covered in vinyl :D

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
I don't have this problem but then mine has been garage kept most of its life. Vinyls age differently and a PO could have been 500lbs and flattened the foam out.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
or it could just be sun-baked and stiff and not compress much anymore. never liked the look of those seats anyway... :lol:

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
or it could just be sun-baked and stiff and not compress much anymore. never liked the look of those seats anyway... :lol:
What is wrong with the looks of them?

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
What is wrong with the looks of them?
mostly the brown color to me (but yours might not be brown, I think it was only one year, right?), but the change in the tank/seat relationship that made it attempt to look more European I guess... just my hard-headed opinionated opinion, kinda like the people who see the long forks on our V65s and think of them as the Magna and not the Sabre that they actually are

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
mostly the brown color to me (but yours might not be brown, I think it was only one year, right?), but the change in the tank/seat relationship that made it attempt to look more European I guess... just my hard-headed opinionated opinion, kinda like the people who see the long forks on our V65s and think of them as the Magna and not the Sabre that they actually are
the '75-'76 brown 500T's had brown seats and the '76 red 500T's had black seats. My seat is fashionable, it matches my underwear.

0001.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Loved that movie.

·
Registered
309 Posts
You'd think open class sportbikes would have brown seats to save on rider embarrassment...

You would think that by now, Hollywood would have figured out that L-twin Ducatis do *NOT* sound like Kawasaki Zx-10R's...
I literally get ripped out of the movie storyline every time that crap happens. Even worse when there's 3 identical Panigales and all 3 are producing different engine notes from different engine configurations. Just inexcusable at this point in time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for your comments guys, the seat is black which makes the bike red? Suppose there is little point in worrying about why, so I will visit a bike seat upholsterer and see what he can do to I improve it.

·
Registered
686 Posts
It’s true that the shape of the stock 500T seat is slightly angled towards the tank. I‘ve got the exact same problem when braking and find the 450 more comfortable for the exact same reason. I‘m quite tall and on the 450 I can change the position on longer rides. On the 500T I can’t.
Looks & colour? I didn’t like the look initially but got ok with it after a while and the 500T has probably the only legit brown seat in the world.

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It’s true that the shape of the stock 500T seat is slightly angled towards the tank. I‘ve got the exact same problem when braking and find the 450 more comfortable for the exact same reason. I‘m quite tall and on the 450 I can change the position on longer rides. On the 500T I can’t.
Looks & colour? I didn’t like the look initially but got ok with it after a while and the 500T has probably the only legit brown seat in the world.

Thanks Frisianwheel, Glad In a way, that I am not the only one that finds the seat uncomfortable. Will get mine modified when shops open after New Year and send a report and pictures.

Please tell me about Azerbaijan, I suppose you are working for one of the oil companies? Do you do much riding and do you get out into the countryside and are there many bikes on the roads there and what sort and how are the roads?
You can send to <[email protected]> if you wish but I am sure that others would be interested too.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cheap enough but it is the same as the one I have and as you say Alan on the wrong continent.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Try a local automobile upholstery shop. When I was building my 350, I stripped the seat pan down to bare metal, MIG welded up a few cracks, trimmed and reshaped a few edges, and then took the seat pan to a local upholstery shop to get made into my current seat.

The guy was extremely helpful, had several options to chose from as far as foam, thickness, pliability, etc. And had even more options for coverings. I originally wanted a black leather seat with pleats, but after speaking with him about the intended usage of the bike, he directed me towards a nice UV-resistant black vinyl with a "pebble" finish that mimics the look of real leather. I also opted for a top stitch instead of piping as I hate piping on seats in general. (Don't like the small pressure points it creates on the inside of the thighs)

I would think that if you found a shop to do something like this, they could also re-sculpt the foam to have a more level seating surface, that doesn't slide you downhill towards the gas tank under braking.

Just my $0.02, hope you get it sorted out!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have a seat very similar on a 450 and it is very comfortable, just back from a 125 mile run and I can still stand straight! I have a very good upholsterer near me and well visit him as soon as the New Yearis over and people are back at work. I never carry a pillion anymore so I don't have to worry about that part of the seat this may give more possibility for improvement.
Will let every one know how I get on after I have talked to the upholsterer.

Reactions: DieselKrampus

·
Registered
686 Posts
450roo > No I‘m not working for one of these oil companies. My wife is a diplomat, so we have to change the location every couple of years. I‘m an architect but currently not working because we have 2 little boys (almost one and almost 4).
I haven’t registered my other bikes here in Azerbaijan so I’m not familiar with riding here but I will definitely make a detailed post about the motorcycle world in Azerbaijan next year.

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Look forward to your post! We hear very little about that part of the world and when we do it is political and not about the every day lives of the people.
Happy New Year!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts