Honda Twins banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So many of you may think me crazy, but I need opinions and/or advice. This July I'm planning on visiting a friend in Santa Fe, NM. I have been seriously considering riding my CL 450 there and back (~4400 miles). First question: Would this be stupid :lol: ? Second question: What spare parts would people recommend for the journey? Other than a couple extra butt cheeks :lol: . I have a cargo rack and could easily fashion some boxes to go on as well. The longest I've gone on the bike was 14 hrs. in one day, then another 5 hrs. the next day, and it was pretty easy to do. I'm very confident that I could make it, I am just worried that my 38 year old steed may not. The bike has been running for a little over a year with no mechanical issues at all.
Also if anyone else has done this big of a trip on a similar size/aged bike, please chime in and tell your story. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
jeremylitts said:
So many of you may think me crazy, but I need opinions and/or advice. This July I'm planning on visiting a friend in Santa Fe, NM. I have been seriously considering riding my CL 450 there and back (~4400 miles). First question: Would this be stupid :lol: ? Second question: What spare parts would people recommend for the journey? Other than a couple extra butt cheeks :lol: . I have a cargo rack and could easily fashion some boxes to go on as well. The longest I've gone on the bike was 14 hrs. in one day, then another 5 hrs. the next day, and it was pretty easy to do. I'm very confident that I could make it, I am just worried that my 38 year old steed may not. The bike has been running for a little over a year with no mechanical issues at all.
Also if anyone else has done this big of a trip on a similar size/aged bike, please chime in and tell your story. Thanks.
(Yep GB as you thought i'd say) fit a Dyna ignition :lol: and take tools to do a chain adjustment on the engine and rear wheel and that's all. I rode my 450 to work for 3 years with only maintenance done was an oil change and the above chain adjustment. If the engine is going well and the suspension is comfortable then just revel in that Honda reliability :D

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
I rode to the grand canyon and back in 2003. I packed a ton of tools and stuff and ended up not needing to use any of it. My bike ran fine and I wound up in the hospital on the way home, stuck in Nebraska for a week, with viral meningitis. Honestly, a credit card, cell phone, and a 12v hookup to charge your cell phone would be my primary 'tools' these days. It's true I could fix anything on the bike myself, but not having to haul that crap around would make my life a lot easier and free up space on the seat behind me for the stuff I did need but didn't have like warmer clothes, better rain gear, a video camera, etc...

If I had to do it over again, I'd have some of that under armor thermal underwear and the most expensive rain suit money could buy if I was guaranteed it wouldn't leak.

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
Holy crap, the 555 concept is amazing. I'm having major open road lust sitting here at work looking at that photo of a group of people on little old bikes standing at the Bonneville salt flats.

Back in the day, these bikes took all sorts of people cross country, so it's not that weird to me. But riding -any- motorcycle that far is a feat in and of itself compared to doing it in a car with wind and weather protection.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
This is the age of the cell phone, so I think you'll be ok - help is just a call away.
Back in The Day, it was a different story - many times there was no help anywhere, and there were no cell phones.
Out west you were often the only human for hundreds of miles, even had to carry extra gas sometimes, not to mention a hundred pounds of tools..........
I can recall riding Route 50 through Nevada/Utah, and not seeing another vehicle all day (much less a pay phone)......

You'll have to stop every couple of hours for fuel, so let the old girl cool off a while, then proceed.
Keep an eye on the oil - 450's are prone to dumping all the oil out the breather tube during long periods of high rpm - it happened to me.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great advice guys, thanks a ton!! I'm still in the "thinking about it" stage. If I go for it I'll be sure to log the whole trip and post it here.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I'm on the road alot and carry in my truck: a set of metric wrenches and sockets, a torque wrench, impact driver with bits, a hammer, breaker bar (doubles as a defense club), flashlight with spare batteries, compass, Rand atlas, jumper cables, first aid kit, blanket, oil, ducttape, quick energy food, and... thats all i can think is in there right now :)

in my thinking, i'm covered to help myself in 1/2 of emergency situations AND prepared to help any biker i F.O.R.D. I tell yas, carry the basic tools and you will make life friends PDQ! i've learned that when i cant help myself, i'll need to depend on the next person coming along. hopefully they will have the tool or tech i need to get off the road to the nearest machine shop. I havent been killed yet, so my technique works for me!

hope this makes sense... ride safe and expect the unexpect to happen unexpectedly :)
danWI

·
Registered
75 Posts
1. Not at all stupid. A properly maintained and prepared CL 450 would make for an enjoyable journey.

2. Bare minimum: fuses, clutch cable, front brake cable, points, elec. tape, knife, shop rag, and minimal tool kit to adjust valves & timing and about 75% of any nut/bolt needed to fix the normal stuff that breaks. The stuff required to ride yer arse out of the middle of nowhere when the undesired asks you to attend an unwanted 'adventure' requiring shoe leather. You do not have to carry an entire machine shop, just sensible shizz.

3. 14 hours in one day? BFD, you and I and everyone else with a bike has done it. Irrelevant. Hours in the saddle does not equal miles down the road day after day after day. Time in saddle VS Distance covered does. If you roll 60 mph for 10 hours I guarantee that you will not cover 600 miles. You have to stop, get gas, eat, and other stuff and perhaps even (gasp!) enjoy it. 2200 miles each way will take you 4-5 days plus one day at each end burned out. Read some of the helpful hints on the IronButt for example, riding is real work, enjoyable, but work like any other. You can do 400-500 a day if you learn how to cover miles and enjoy the trip.

Go for it !!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Sounds like a great trip. I took my first trip of any size today. 250 miles to watch my friends ski in 80 degree weather on a patch of snow 100 yards long. It was interesting for sure but not something I'd like to do again without giving the bike a proper tune up. NY mountains can be killer on a little 400 following a Subaru STI...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah I ride in the Adirondack's a lot and it's very fun on the 450 :D

·
Registered
52 Posts
I haven't been to the Adirondacks yet. I was down in the Catskills at Windham.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts