Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK... my son, decided he wanted to clean these carbs as he hadnt done that ever before, ( :oops: apologies Saki but I may have some other things for ya) so, I "supervised" while he took em apart and cleaned em and reassembled them.

They werent too cruddy at all , and some carb cleaner, a lil elbow grease and air from the compressor did the trick quite nicely in cleaning things, and opening a few clogs.

I had also printed off the carb illustrations and the procedure directions from the Honda manual so he would have something to reference too without asking.

Step 1 was , "1. Remove 2 screws securing top cover (vacuum
cylinder). Lift cylinder off."

No problem there! :cool:

and then,
"2. Carefully lift out the piston and the spring
(Keihin 14C and E, and CB500T only).
CAUTION
Do not bend needle in piston,"

OK, problem... piston and needle came out nicely,but,there is no spring on it ! :shock:

It DOES show it on the Keihin 14C ,and E carb (just like it says in Step 2 above)illus., but, NOT on the 500T carbs, OR the 14H carb blow up :shock: :? HUH??

Ive had several carbs apart before and they all had that spring so it kinda surprised me that it wasnt there , but... to be fair..it DOESN'T show one in the illus for the 500 T carb. Hmmmm??

See why Im confused??The air cutoff valve is on there just like it says ,the numbers and jet sizes are right too so its the right carbs on there soooo...Which is right?? Is that spring supposed to be in there or not for the 500T??? :?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I don't think either year of the 500T had springs - that came on models of later years, **** the twins of the late 70's and the DOHC Fours and Gold Wings.
The 500T carb was essentially the same as a 450 carb, with the addition of an "air cutoff valve", an anti-backfire thing.
The first of many needless changes to the original carb,
The basic type is still in use on Hondas today.

Some early 450 K0's had springs in their carbs as a retrofit (I think).

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tbpmusic said:
I don't think either year of the 500T had springs - that came on models of later years, **** the twins of the late 70's and the DOHC Fours and Gold Wings.
The 500T carb was essentially the same as a 450 carb, with the addition of an "air cutoff valve", an anti-backfire thing.
The first of many needless changes to the original carb,
The basic type is still in use on Hondas today.

Some early 450 K0's had springs in their carbs as a retrofit (I think).

"The first of many needless changes to the original carb,.."
Tru DAT my friend!! :roll: :lol:

That manual sure does make it confusing though talking about it in one part and then showing it not there in another AND, its NOT there!! Jeesh!! :lol: .

Ah well, I just told my son just put her back together the way it was. It was running before but just had some issues with the carbs which this cleaning should have taken care of.

I also loved how the manual tells ya to turn the carb on its side to measure the float height....and then when ya do....the float pin that didnt wanna come out when you took it apart... slides right out and falls on the ground!! :shock: :shock:

Had to make a new one as the garage gremlins were faster than me and they got it before I could find the darn thing. :eek:
Ohh...and you guys know it too...there THERE!! :x Moving your tools and parts around right after youve set em down.... hiding things youve put up...grabbing things that were right there a second ago...Ive seen em outta the corner of my eyes.....sitting on the bench vise....running when you look their way......laughing.....whispering.....arrgh....evil little buggers!! :cry: :x
I bet when I go out there tommorrow itll be laying right there in front of me when I open the door. :evil:

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
trublu said:
I bet when I go out there tommorrow itll be laying right there in front of me when I open the door. :evil:
Right after you order a new one you'll find the old one.........

Wish I could get you the Honda 500T Manual, but it's way too big to email or put on my website....
It's much better than the 450 manual, better photos, clearer language.
I always include it on my Annotated 450 Manual cd, it's valuable to 450 owners too.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tbpmusic said:
trublu said:
Right after you order a new one you'll find the old one.........

Wish I could get you the Honda 500T Manual, but it's way too big to email or put on my website....
It's much better than the 450 manual, better photos, clearer language.
I always include it on my Annotated 450 Manual cd, it's valuable to 450 owners too.

Nails are wonderful things AND make great float pins ;) Made a new pin in justa few mins. ;)

I sure wish I had that regular 500T manual too. This combo CB/CL450 and 500T I downloaded ..well..theres just enough differences in these bikes to make it confusing at times when their all in one book.
Wish I was just a tad closer Bill Id pay ya a visit and we could shoot the bull a bit. :cool:

I sure do appreciate the response on this spring question for sure :cool:

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Buy one of the manuals on CD from Bill and you'll always have it for future reference....

It's more than worth the nominal amount he charges for it. ;)

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like a plan GB!! ;) THANKS! :cool:

It surely cant be better than the fine manuals that make it sooo easy to understand that I have now can it?? (sarcasm meter set to :OUTER Space) :D :D :D :D

Hey Bill PM me with info will ya?? ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts