Honda Twins banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my story here. I grew up in a family full of gearheads and of course I love hotrods, muscle cars and anything with wheels that has been chopped up made to be louder or can leave smoke and rubber behind. Being the way I am a hotrod would cost too much because it would never be fast enough and I would surely have way too many tickets so 3 years ago now I bought a 73 450K6 and it's been a project ever since. When I bought the bike not really knowing anything about old motorcycles or new ones for that matter but having a mechanical mind (not bionic) thought I could do this. I tried to make the bike my own I don't have the money to restore it or do anything to crazy so I decided to make it a glorified rat bike but not too crazy.

So far I have replaced the coils, wires, plugs cleaned and rebuilt the carbs as well as replaced a few seals, tires and the breaker points. Did a couple little cosmetic things. I couldn't deal with the brown n gold.

This has become a weekend project for my father and I as he is more the mechanic then I am but he was a car and boat mechanic so this is all new to him plus it's foreign so he gets lost quickly. If it were made by the big 3 he would have ripped it down and rebuilt it in 2 days.

So this is where I need help I have a blown headgasket so we pull the engine tear it down and find the slightest bit of wear in the walls. So it needs to be rerung at least if not bored out. I'm on a limited income so all out overhaul may take a while so I would like to see if anyone can help me out with there opinion of what would be my best direction.

I see my options as this
1. bore it and all that jazz. Question? where can I find pistons and rings?
2. rering it Can anyone direct me to where I can purchase the toolsand even the rings Local dealer charge 4x more from what I pay for OEM on the internet
3. Just do a engine swap? I hear you can bolt up a CB500 directly to the 450 frame????

Gentlemen I'd greatly appreciate any input and knowledge you have to share and if you have a good suggestions for where on the internet or MD I can get parts I'd be in your debt also if you're ever in Baltimore I'll be more than happy to buy you a beer or several.

Thank you If you made through this post I'm being a little longwinded

[/img]

Attachments

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
From your first picture it looks like you were running around without a front fender. I'd advise against that. The mounting bracket for the fender is the only real fork brace that these bikes had, so for stability you better be using that.

Parts - Ebay if you ask me..

A qualified machinist can tell if it needs bored or honed. You'll need to take the proper specs to him and have the bore taper measured. Go from there. Then you'll know if it needs honed/re-ringed or a bore with new pistons/rings..

GB :mrgreen:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts