·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:!:

·
Sensei
27,163 Posts
Never really measured them....Likely the difference IS Gray or Black.....

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
tbpmusic said:
Steve's right, the only difference is color.
....and that can be a significant difference sometimes. I recently bought a clutch cable from the Honda shop since he said they were still avaliable. What I got was a nice new clutch cable but it was black instead of the stock gray color which is irritating. I will probably buy a gray one on eBay and use the black on for my CB450 since the color on that bike is not important to me.

·
Sensei
27,163 Posts
Mike, I believe 350 and 450 clutch cables are different, hence not necessarily interchangable.
I'm not saying it can't work, just that Honda usually doesn't produce a different part if they already have one that works/looks/fits properly....The difference may be overall length (routing/bar height), or free length (adjustment range), or of course, color....

·
Registered
175 Posts
I think the 500T bars are a little higher than the 450 bars but I don't think there's enough difference for them to need different cables. I put 500T bars on a 450 some time ago and I don't recall any compatibility problems with the control cables - I'm pretty sure I just connected the clutch cable that was on the bike to the 500T lever (wiring is another matter and took a little sorting out). As far as I can recall, the motor end saddle for the clutch cable is the same - I think I've even cannibalized a 500T cable for a 450 with no problem. The drive sprocket covers are interchangeable. The cables would have a different number, since they are a different colour. you can often find cables on e-bay that are slightly longer than standard - I'd favour those, myself as there's certainly nothing extra in the stock cable - it's a bit on the snug side and makes a pretty tight radius bend to go under the tank. I carry a spare one with me to insure that nothing will ever go wrong with the one on the bike.

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
66Sprint said:
Mike, I believe 350 and 450 clutch cables are different, hence not necessarily interchangable.
I'm not saying it can't work, just that Honda usually doesn't produce a different part if they already have one that works/looks/fits properly....The difference may be overall length (routing/bar height), or free length (adjustment range), or of course, color....
I know there are some differences and I think it is the length. I haven't done all my homework yet but since I'm running the shorter "Superbike" bars I think it will fit. If I recall, I think there was a 2" difference in length but otherwise, everything else looked the same.

You mention "free length". I hadn't checked that but will do so when the time comes.

Thanks for pointing that out.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I got a little away from the original question: Tach cables should be interchangeable. difference in instrument placement is minimal, motor's the same. The speedo cables for the disc brake 450 would be the same. I don't see why the drum brake model should be any different - the speedo drive isn't part of the hub - but that's possible. I've never had a drum brake model and I haven't worked on one for decades.

·
Sensei
27,163 Posts
Kerry, The right side 450 drum speedo drives are like the 305 ones, and have a "flap" out of one side of the cable that fits a "keyway" in the drive....Not a flat bar end (that fits a clevis like a screwdriver in a slot) like the disc models have......The drum cable has rather large threaded ferrules for attachment to the drive, not a "slip-in" retained by a bolt....Completely different animal... and almost extinct.....

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Sensei
27,163 Posts
Yes. the wheel drive bits that engage the speedo drive can be adapted to the RIGHT side of a disc hub (a lot of work) It would spin the speedometer backwards if placed on the left, and the cable would not "flow" in the correct backward arc.( it would go upwardsand forward in front of the fork)....See a/the similar proceedure I had to perform to get the disc speedo drive on my C-200 project......
MY question is, Why modify something to use unavailable, obsolete parts (the scarce cables)??????

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Sensei
27,163 Posts
more like.... "Experience shows us the engineers were usually right to begin with, and That (whatever change we made) was WAY too much work for/with little improvement"
....However, sometimes, you just HAVE to try stuff...LOL.... :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Sensei
27,163 Posts
Very Nice!.....
I find myself "(re)manufacturing" lots of "custom" adaptations too..... :roll: :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
The 350 clutch cable is too short by about 3inches.I wanted a grey one for my cl450 so ordered one on ebay which was listed as compatible.However I also have a cl350 so not too bad.I,m still on the lookout for a NOS grey cable for the 450.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts