Honda Twins banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you may have seen in a couple of other short threads, I've been working on my Gold Wing carburetors. The bike was not running well and the low end and wasn't running properly under full throttle at highway speed either.

At first I thought they might just be dirty inside since they sync'd up well and the pilot adjustment went well. As I got them apart I found a couple of problem with wrong size jets for this model and wrong size jets swapped in the wrong place. Additionally, one of the posts supporting the float pin was broken. I sniped a bank of two replacement carbs off ebay for about $25 and thought that was the answer to my carb body replacement. Unfortunately, I didn't pay attention to what side the bank was from and it was the wrong body. I still got some had to find usable parts though.

In the end, I got a "post fix kit" from Randakk's Cycle Shake and thought I'd post it up here. The material is Copyrighted so I can not copy it but I can describe the process and show you some pictures of my repair.

These carbs are similar to the 450 carbs in appearance but they are much more complex. There are about 7 different jets in each carb not counting the needles. So, I figure if I can rebuild these, then my 450 carbs will be a piece of cake. (I haven't done the 450 carbs yet)

Here is the broken post.



Here is what the emulsion tubs looked like. Because they have a slot in them I think the previous owner thought they screwed in. In fact, they just press in and I'm not sure exactly why the slot is there. I do know a jet sits on top of the slot so maybe it acts as a base fo the jet.



The first step is to saw off the remainder of the broken post. This is an important step since the replacement post height depends on the base being correct.



You need to saw a little bit into the webbing then cut it vertically.



The next step is to us a fine file and file the base down so it's the same height as the base of the carb body.



The kit came with a jig that is used to drill a pilot hold for the replacement post. This picture shows the jig but it hasn't been adjusted yet. the right side of the guide needs to be agains the right post so the pilot hold will be in the correct postion.



Sorry for the poor picture, but it's supposed to show the final drilling to 1/4" depth. Care must be taken especially with a sharp drill bit. The drill wants to "bite" the soft aluminum and quickly go much deeper than is necessary or desired.



I didn't get a picture, but there is a small stub on the bottom of the replacement post that goes into the hold. It is slightly undersize so they supple a self tapping screw that knurles the inside of the hole and the final fit is perfect. the knurles also allow for a larger surface are for the epoxy to grab onto.

Here is the post in position prior to the epoxy.



Here is the final picture after the epoxy and with the pin in place. It was a perfect fit.



Again, this kit is for a GL1000 carb but the same principle could be used on a 450 carb. Originally, I was going to use some of that epoxy putty and blob it onto the top of the broken post. When it dried I think I could have drilled it straight enough to have worked but this method is definitely more professional.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,495 Posts
Mike -

Yet another case of Honda screwing up a beautiful and elegantly simple design (450 carb) by over-complicating and adding useless crap.......
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HerrDeacon said:
You make it look awfully easy Mike. Nice work.

Thanks, but the kit made it almost a 'no brainer'. The template is the key and then, of course, the post itself.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,203 Posts
Nice info to tuck away for someday.

Now if I could just remember where I put it.............................
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top