Honda Twins banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
First off I have a 82 nighthawk 450
Bought it running just fine . Then I messed up and rode in the rain for about 10 minutes with no problem.
Tried to start it the next day and nothing. No lights no nothing. Replaced the starter relay and now I got lights and everything works but when I go to hit the starter button , the headlight goes out and the starter does nothing. Check my battery and all is good (charged , load tested ) I even got a new starter . Still nothing .. My fuses are good. Any other suggestions ? Thanks !

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
My bet is the starter button switch on the right pod. It has two functions...deliver power to the headlight all the time, and supply power to the starter solenoid when you push it in. On my cm, the starter function was fine, just no headlight. Took switch apart, cleaned, fresh dielectric grease, and has been fine now for a couple of years. See if you have power to the yellow/red solenoid wire at the solenoid when you press the starter button. If not, I'll bet it's that button switch.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
As above. When the start button is pressed it disconnects power to the headlight and connects power to activate the starter relay.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
+1 for the suggestions. I would consider taking the pods on both sides apart to clean and lube with dielectric grease. There's a sticky topic on the 350 Electrical section describing doing it.
Riding in the rain is perfectly fine, I've been in it for hours at a time. The only problem that might occur is running on one cylinder because the road spray off the front tire soaks the coil. Easily cured with WD40 sprayed on the coil and wires.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Riding in the rain is perfectly fine, I've been in it for hours at a time. The only problem that might occur is running on one cylinder because the road spray off the front tire soaks the coil.
Interesting design flaw. You suppose it doesn't rain in Japan, lol?

Regards,

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My bet is the starter button switch on the right pod. It has two functions...deliver power to the headlight all the time, and supply power to the starter solenoid when you push it in. On my cm, the starter function was fine, just no headlight. Took switch apart, cleaned, fresh dielectric grease, and has been fine now for a couple of years. See if you have power to the yellow/red solenoid wire at the solenoid when you press the starter button. If not, I'll bet it's that button switch.
Thanks for the suggestion , I will defiantly look into the starter button like you said!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm bringing this thread back from the dead because my 84 650 nighthawk is having the same issue, except me getting careless with a battery charger is the reason. do you think I blew the switch? I can jump the solenoid to get the bike to turn over...but there seems to be no spark when I do that. Any Ideas gents? I'd like to know if someone has a better idea where the circuit for start goes so I can have a better idea what to check. i've got the handle apart already and I suppose I'll start contuniuty checks when I grab my good multi meter from work

·
Registered
79 Posts
If I had any information about the 650 I'd be of use here, unfortunately I don't
did OP ever figure out what it was? I'm assuming its the start switch, I could probably make a cheap switch for it out of scrap wire just to test it. there is also a rectifier in the system, and I hope thats not the issue

1 - 10 of 10 Posts