Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
most of you guys have seen me bouncing around this site. i generally stick to the 450 topics (asking questions) but thought i'd post a visual progress report as i got things out of my kitchen and finally on to the street. it was 50+ here in jersey yesterday and i took off work just to see if i might get any kind of barebones combustion going. unfortunately i was stopped dead in my tracks with an unusual problem. a pinhole in my tank. go figure. F%^&K! i just had it painted.

someday i'll repost my build, documented pretty well i might add, from beginning to end. i was elated to see this bike out on the street and i thought i'd share. still lots to do-some cosmetic frame fabrication and welding, a seat, brake light, chopped fenders, etc. i can NOT WAIT to ride this!

check out the bike's stance and my new pinhole problem to deal with. i've been pm'ing steve (66sprint) about it and thank him for his guidance already. i'll keep you all posted.

seth

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I like the blacked out engine.

Get a project log of that thing up. I want to see more.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
The sad thing about those pinholes is that when there's one or two, there's usually a few more just waiting to rear their ugly heads...

GB :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cmon GB, I need happy thoughts right about now. I'm planning to remove my old kreem and start over, any thoughts (again happy ones only)?

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
If it were me, and I was wanting nice paint that LASTED then I'd be looking for a better tank.. By the time you get that one brazed up then prepped and painted, ride it for a while and another pinhole pops up, you'll wish you had bought another tank.. Besides, the old tank will make good "wall art" or a conversation piece for your shop.. ;)

Of course you could just try your luck at getting it brazed up. I'd do some exploring/poking around with a scratch awl or small center-punch and try to find the thin spots on the tank and find more holes getting ready to rust through before getting it brazed. Just to get a better idea of what you're getting into..

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
GB, i'm gonna re-kreem or POR or red-kote or whatever and try my luck at that first. i do know a place that will braze this for me but that would ruin my paint, right? it KILLS me that i just paid decent money to have a nice paint job done and now this. at least with a new lining i might be able to salvage my paint for at least this summer, get a few looks from the ladies, you know? thanks for your insight.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Good luck to you. I have a feeling you're gonna need it. Those pinholed tanks always cause a lot of headaches.. From my experience you'll either come out one morning to a fuel soaked floor under the bike, or while you're riding it'll start leaking and possibly catch fire.

From what I understand on the Redkote it's not so much a way to seal up holes as it is a sealer to prevent rusting in general. Not as thick as the other tank liners on the market. I haven't used it though, so that's only my best guess from all that I've read about it. Bill would know for sure..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello there. I think you should give the KREEM another try. I had the same pinhole problem and I kreemed it leaving a thick bottom layer. I left it for almost a week and a half to dry with a fan blowing in it. NICE tires. What type are those? thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts