Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Bought my k6 about a year ago. Managed to get it started. Rode it about 100 miles. Pushed it home twice, decided to give up and start from scratch.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Great! another DOHC project. I'm curious what is the bike's history before you got it?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great! another DOHC project. I'm curious what is the bike's history before you got it?
Hi JamesPal. The bike was imported from America to the uk. I managed to trace the previous owner to Denver from the title document. I emailed him, he replied and said it was the owner before him who had restored the bike. I have no idea why it is military green. I sent a few more emails asking for where he bought the bike but he stopped replying so Ive come to a dead end. Cheers.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Yes, great to have another DOHC 450 to follow. I'm always curious about the history of our vintage bikes as well, so it's a shame the PO stopped responding to you. Too bad that tank has faded as much as it has, that's a great factory color. You could leave it the way it is for the patina, but if it's the only part naturally aged it might look out of place depending on how far you plan to go with the restoration.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, great to have another DOHC 450 to follow. I'm always curious about the history of our vintage bikes as well, so it's a shame the PO stopped responding to you. Too bad that tank has faded as much as it has, that's a great factory color. You could leave it the way it is for the patina, but if it's the only part naturally aged it might look out of place depending on how far you plan to go with the restoration.
I think I’ll try one more time to see if the PO will reply. The tank is my favourite colour of all the CB’s and to be honest I wanted one that wasn’t too new looking. There was one similar available in the uk where I live but it was like new. I paid more for the aged one to be imported from the US. I wanted something more aged. I’m trying to replicate this look (see pic) and the tank is also faded The only other thing on the bike that is aged is the handlebars that have been left raw steel. I think the shape of the bike oozes an aged look irrespective of the age of the individual parts.

I’ve learned my first lesson today in motorcycle building. That is, it’s the same a house renovation project in that you really need to know how you want the finished project to look before you get too far in. Now I’ve taken the engine out of the frame.... I need to put it back in so can get the position of the brackets that need welding on to hold the exhausts and license plate bracket. So I need to choose an exhaust now rather than after I’ve spent money getting the frame powder coated.

Every day’s a school day :D EEBD838A-766A-4990-9759-FCE25EFD072D.jpg

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Yes, it does require a vision of what you want it to look like in order to plan out your moves beforehand. My CL450 build was on my mind for a few decades before I was able to actually do it, so I pretty much knew what I had to do to get there. You'll definitely enjoy the journey.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, it does require a vision of what you want it to look like in order to plan out your moves beforehand. My CL450 build was on my mind for a few decades before I was able to actually do it, so I pretty much knew what I had to do to get there. You'll definitely enjoy the journey.
Tom I’ve been reading your CL build journey and wow what a rollercoaster ride. It’s like reading a best seller. I’ve saved the final chapter til tonight :p

Could you help me with one thing please?. CB450 parts are fairly impossible to find in the UK. As with most old vehicles, the weather slowly rusts things away. Your barn finds generally are dusty items that need a rebuild and a polish and you’re away. In the uk the same would be a pile of unrecognisable rust.

If you in the US were after a CB450 drum and hub assembly, where would you go? Is there a breakers yard or collector you could point me in the direction of? Or is it the case that old Hondas are becoming rare in the states too?

Thanks

Wayne

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Wayne, thanks for the kind comments on my build - it certainly was a bit of a roller coaster along the way, but other than a few small unexpected things since then that have caused me to take it all back apart again (minor oil leak at the head gasket, cracks at welds for the rear fender mounts), it turned out well overall and will be better (hopefully!) the second time around... it's a labor of love.

There are quite a few yards all over the US that still have some used 450 parts, but finding good salvage yards is a task even with the internet to help as many don't have websites or advertise that way. There's one you might try that a few members have gotten some parts from - his name is Dan Foukes and his phone number is 586-872-3515 in St. Clair Shores, Michigan. There is a fair-sized yard near me in Florida but all of his stuff is outdoors and quite deteriorated, so I haven't bought anything from him since walking his yard (water in the bottom ends of engines, rotted seats and seat pans, etc., etc.). Good used parts are certainly getting harder to find for our bikes.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Tom for your help. I’ll give them a call through the week. I’m expecting the same rollercoaster ride with my project but will enjoy every singe part of it. :D

Best wishes

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
wtipster,
I had good luck finding a set of K7 wheels on Ebay. Even though the grease in the front bearings was dried it was still white. I got the seller to list the rears and bought them too. Do you have the FSM? I have five .pdfs of it. PM your email to me and I will send it to you. Here are some screen prints form the rear hub differences:

Rear Drum.jpg Rear Sproket Fixing Bolt.jpg View attachment Rear Sproket K6 - K7 Bolts.bmp

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
JamesPal.

Thanks for the info and sorry but I didn’t make it clear enough that I’m only after a front drum brake and hub assembly.

Thank you

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
A drum front brake will require new front shocks. The sliders are different between the disk and drum and Honda put three different shocks on the CL450 and five on the CB450. The CB450K5 and on ('72 and on) had the best front shocks for the disk brake. The CL450K5 and K6 ('73 & 74) have the same shock with the Disk brake sliders. If you go to the earlier CL (prior to K4 '72) or CB with drum (prior to '69 or K2) this is a primitive front shock. You will need the fork trees to go with it. These earlier front shock tubes are tapered at the top and are hard to find in good condition. All of the 450 DOHC with gators suffered from corrosion under the fork ears. This are was sealed and water couldn't get out. Some are worse than others, I replaced mine. They were not safe.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A drum front brake will require new front shocks. The sliders are different between the disk and drum and Honda put three different shocks on the CL450 and five on the CB450. The CB450K5 and on ('72 and on) had the best front shocks for the disk brake. The CL450K5 and K6 ('73 & 74) have the same shock with the Disk brake sliders. If you go to the earlier CL (prior to K4 '72) or CB with drum (prior to '69 or K2) this is a primitive front shock. You will need the fork trees to go with it. These earlier front shock tubes are tapered at the top and are hard to find in good condition. All of the 450 DOHC with gators suffered from corrosion under the fork ears. This are was sealed and water couldn't get out. Some are worse than others, I replaced mine. They were not safe.
Thanks for the reply. Im pretty sure the drum and disc is a straight swap using the original forks?

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Im pretty sure the drum and disc is a straight swap using the original forks?
You can change the entire front ends, even the fenders are different between a disk brake bike and a drum bike. If you go the entire front end, there are many options, Yamaha 650 twin and others. I have never owned one, but I have tried to help a guy restore a drum brake K1 DOHC. He disappeared from this site. The early forks are hard to find and the fork tubes are special. They taper at the top. The after market/ repair shops I have spoken will not work on them. The disk brake was an improvement over the drum brake. Also the fork you have was the most advanced Honda put on the CB450 DOHC. A CL450 K6-7 has that same fork shock as your CB but uses a drum. If you want to do this, I suggest you find the CL K6-7 front shocks and fender to go with the wheel. That is about all I know about this subject. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Jim. You are very knowledgable and I may need to pick your brains at a later date. I’m hoping to keep my original k6 forks. Even more so now. I won’t be having a front mudguard (fender) so that’s not an issue. So really I’m hoping I can make any cb/CL 450 drum fit.

Best wishes

Wayne

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wayne, thanks for the kind comments on my build - it certainly was a bit of a roller coaster along the way, but other than a few small unexpected things since then that have caused me to take it all back apart again (minor oil leak at the head gasket, cracks at welds for the rear fender mounts), it turned out well overall and will be better (hopefully!) the second time around... it's a labor of love.

There are quite a few yards all over the US that still have some used 450 parts, but finding good salvage yards is a task even with the internet to help as many don't have websites or advertise that way. There's one you might try that a few members have gotten some parts from - his name is Dan Foukes and his phone number is 586-872-3515 in St. Clair Shores, Michigan. There is a fair-sized yard near me in Florida but all of his stuff is outdoors and quite deteriorated, so I haven't bought anything from him since walking his yard (water in the bottom ends of engines, rotted seats and seat pans, etc., etc.). Good used parts are certainly getting harder to find for our bikes.
Hi Tom. I Tried Dan Foukes, nice guy, very helpful but he didn’t have the part. I was PM’d by another member who did have the part and a few other bits and bobs I was missing. Should get them in a week or two so all ended well. I tried the PO one more time.... he sent me about 100 photos of the bike being renovated a few years ago. She looked like this when the owner before rescued her....... 60023EF7-2B23-4EDF-B58D-9614B472C71A.jpg

A sorry looking soul.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I think we should have awards for people who rescue these old twins from the scrap heap. It takes a special person to see value in that. And now the bike has been given a second life in the UK. I will be watching to see how your front brake comes out.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Had a day off work today due to North Pole type weather so have spent it in the garage. Stripped the front brakes down....

3D0C7785-778D-46BE-8A14-6056EEB26A71.jpg

Sent the brake shoes away to be re-lined. Half the price of new shoes.

Had the triple clamps sent back from the sand blasters. Two different colours of alloy!!

C00D6B52-D505-4232-BCAD-5B68D05EFF3E.jpg

Ordered a steering lock key to be made using the Honda code on the lock

B16DFB02-07B9-4EE3-A06A-35D0741A31D3.jpg

Removed the front wheel bearings. Ordered new. A few minutes soaking in penetrating oil, plenty of heat on the hub, then gently tapped them out. Came out quite easily.

4CCD55F1-5F98-4042-B64F-C10EE6A54695.jpg
37603178-6112-4719-9323-786F5B2A6438.jpg
E2F44C4B-4DBA-4B2A-AE80-D36012FFF093.jpg

Chopped the frame and ground off the unwanted tabs ready for the rear hoop and powder coating.
E2BEAA77-977E-4171-B0EC-CAA1FE29854A.jpg

A few good steps forward. Happy days :)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 38 Posts