Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been a while since my last visit when I was putting together a 72 cb 450. I happened across it's remains one day and decided to rebuild it. I usually only rebuild sohc 4's but this one was crying out to me so years ago I rebuilt it. I kept a box of extra 450 stuff for spares, you know , just in case..... over the years I've run across more 450 stuff with other purchases and all those parts ended up in the box that turned into an entire area of 450 stuff that I just came across and I have been saving just in case. Long story sort, I only have one running cb 450 but some how over the years it seems that I have acquired a '
71 in not harsh condition w/ seized engine but complete
a 66-67 black bomber frame/ext.forks and some other parts
a 70 cl rolling frame no motor
a 75 500 t rolling frame , no motor
a 72 rolling frame no motor
I got all this stuff by accident and over time and now it's kinda taking up space. BUT , what to do when you have other machines (Like a 250 suzuki with 85 miles on it with front end damage) that have been saved by accident. I've been toying with a silly idea of mixing all these parts together just because I have them . But it all feels so unpure and dirty in a way , especially when there may be others out there looking for these very things that I might bastardize. Sure I have a T 250 roller that I might be able to stuff that 4 stroke suzuki motor into , but it would be really, really tight and I 'm not a suzuki fan either. I do have a 500 4 engine that I could see if it'll sqweeze into the 450 cradle, that only seems a little more right but still a kind of wrong, maybe not as wrong as maybe altering a 160 roller for a 4 cylinder fitting. I know that at some point a 500T or decent 450 engine could show up out of the blue and what then?
Such a dilemma...I'm sure many others here have the same problem , and maybe one or two of these folks may know or have an idea of what to do with all this stuff that makes the most sense ....What to do?

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
What are the “other parts” for that Black Bomber that you mention?

Reactions: ancientdad

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
What happens when we die and or wives throw all our stuff away
Believe it or not, but a Buddy (who is close enough, that we are more like brothers, than my actual brother, who my Dad disowned). But my "Brother like" Buddy and I have plans that whichever one of us goes 1st, the other one will get whatever motorcycles, parts & such, that there are. Now, you can bet that whichever one leaves this earth 1st, the other will be there, as much as possible, for the other family, as needed.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Bomber has the least amount of parts to work with. frame/ forks /seat /misc small parts...looks like some 70 cl fork and wheels could work there but it's bastardizing.
Between the 71 and 72 cb 450's there should easily be enough to build into one decent machine if I wanted another one.
The 500T forks, f fender, and wheels could be used on the next 550 build, the rest can go to the scrapper I guess

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
But isn't it a mortal sin to send the 71 cb , 70 cl, and the 500T frame to the scrapers? Is there any part of the bomber frame that can be used by anyone? swing arm engine mounts whatever? It seems so wasteful to scrap this stuff, even if no one wants it now, maybe tomorrow or 3 years from now someone might need it. Is this just a stupid thing to worry about?

·
Registered
685 Posts
You should have most parts with the 71, 70 and 72 combined. If one of the 450s was crying out for a rebuild it really deserves it. I‘ve heard the heartbreaking wailing of a neglected 450 myself and know that it’s hard to resist. And it’s Christmas time :)
The other bikes/frames? I would dismantle and clean them and put them away without any thoughts and think about it later.

Edit: Yes, it’s a sin!

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I'd sure like to have a roller for the second engine I'm thinking seriously of building down the road... but once again, it's 1000 miles away from me :cry:

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
You should have most parts with the 71, 70 and 72 combined. If one of the 450s was crying out for a rebuild it really deserves it. I‘ve heard the heartbreaking wailing of a neglected 450 myself and know that it’s hard to resist. And it’s Christmas time :)
The other bikes/frames? I would dismantle and clean them and put them away without any thoughts and think about it later.

Edit: Yes, it’s a sin!
So true, Gunnar, so true. It's just a good thing I don't have unlimited funds & space, because I would do my best to rescue collections like this. I had the opportunity, to get some motorcycles out of a similar collection once & all I had to do was to go to a place locally & haul them home. Had quite a few. That sure didn't set well with my Wife though. Her tune change somewhat though, as I was able to sell some of them & it only cost me time & gas money, to collect them. ;)

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Don't scrap em. If the bomber frame is straight it would be useful for a vintage racer. There is class for the early bikes. And Since everything else is upgraded parts on a racer anyway......... Heck, any straight frames are valuable to a racer

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Didn't know that Lefty. So I'm thinking perhaps I could upgrade some missing parts that are transferable from the 70 cl roller (Wheels, forks and trees) to the bomber frame and store the swing arm ,seat , seat latch, brake pedal and rear fender in a box ,and hang the cl frame in the rafters forever or something . That should save some space and the bomber frame will be able to roll at least.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
At least save the bomber frame for someone that might race it.
I turn 60 this Jan. and I run fast when I'm feeling frisky, but for some reason vintage racing isn't something I want to do just yet .
At least it's a start for the next guy.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was thinking about this stuff you guys were talking about....what'll happen to our toys when we go. I figure that my wife never had any interest in my bikes so I had discussed this with the kids and her a while back. If the kids want the collection they can have it, if they want to sell them they have to split the $ they get evenly but , I want them to pick one machine each and keep it in their house...so I can be comfortable when I haunt (I mean visit) them.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So over the holidays I was thinking about this vintage racer thing that Lefty mentioned....upgraded parts on a bomber frame... Wondering how much up grading is Kosher/acceptable? Re: have 70's drumbrake front wheel and cl triples and forks and 73 entire front end with disc brakes,triples and forks ... which would be more acceptable/ desirable? Is this a straight bolt in or is the answer All Balls Taperd bearing designed for the application? Is there a difference in swingarms through the years and which one should I use in this case? The frame didn't come with rear fender, is there an other than stock r. fender that I should be looking for?and , is there a bolt on bracket that sturdies up the rear most part of the frame that would strap over the r. fender?It doesn't seem as sturdy as the newer frames. Is there already a build recipe that vintage racers use from newer parts? Thanx for any answers in advance.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Okay , so I just found the thread on 450/750 swing arm, turns out , in the end, that a 500T swingarm will fit with some material removal. The + side is it is longer and stronger than the stock 450 swing arm . The 1 inch extension will change shock angle to a more lay down position offering a better ride and a lower stance.... if I understand it correctly. Does this sound like a place to start? I do have some investigating/ measuring to do first to see if the swing arm will fit in a 67 450 frame as I am suspecting that it may be more narrow than the 70's version frame.( I'm at home thinking about this while the machines are in the warehouse some distance away)The upper part of the 67 frame at the shock mounts are like5.25"between the tubes and if I can recall correctly I think that the later day frames are more like 6.25"in the same place calling for a wider r. fender. That being the case, I suspect that the shocks won't stand paralell when bolted on, possibly pinching, possibly being a waste of the 67 frame . Does that sound true anyone? Should I hang the 67 in the rafters and just concentrate on the 70's model frames. Input requested.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts