Honda Twins banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a question. Want to put helicoils in my spark plug holes while I have the engine out of the bike as one of them is missing about 5 threads and I don't want any surprises down the road. I plan to invert the engine to keep chips out of it but was wondering where to get the tap and helicoils plus breakoff tool

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Your local auto parts store should have the complete kit but just be careful if you're not taking the head off. Use lots of grease to capture the chips but you're going to have problems when you need to break off the tang of the thread insert. Rather than break it off and have it fall in the motor, you might get some thin needle nose and try to reach in there and break it off then pull it out. If you stuck a tissue in the hole you might be able to break it off and the tissue would keep it from dropping down then you could vacuum it out.

Just be careful what ever you do.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Would a thread chaser or a full on tap do the job?

I had a severe problem-- completely ripped out the threads on one side of my 450. I called Terry Naughton at Hansen racing and he said he uses "Steel-Serts" They are available from JC Whitney. I ended up getting mine from a Toyota dealer that stocks them for shop use.
Terry told me to make sure my exhaust valve was open, but not so far as to interfere with the steel-sert, and the intake closed. I removed the exhaust pipe and hooked up a shop vac to the exhaust port. NO GREASE. After goring out the plug hole with the steel-cert provided tap, I used air pressure in the plug hole with the vacuum going at the same time. Hit it with some brake clean and repeated the maneuver. I then taped a Q Tip to a piece of solid copper wire (stolen form a decorative coffee pot -- like 3/32nd" dia. ) and swabbed around to make sure nothing was hiding. Installed the steel-sert, staked it as the instructions said and -- boom-- so far, no problem.

First I'd try the thread chaser though-- the repair is always on my mind, especially when I remove the plug.

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
WOZERD said:
Would a thread chaser or a full on tap do the job?

I had a severe problem-- completely ripped out the threads on one side of my 450. I called Terry Naughton at Hansen racing and he said he uses "Steel-Serts" They are available from JC Whitney. I ended up getting mine from a Toyota dealer that stocks them for shop use.
Terry told me to make sure my exhaust valve was open, but not so far as to interfere with the steel-sert, and the intake closed. I removed the exhaust pipe and hooked up a shop vac to the exhaust port. NO GREASE. After goring out the plug hole with the steel-cert provided tap, I used air pressure in the plug hole with the vacuum going at the same time. Hit it with some brake clean and repeated the maneuver. I then taped a Q Tip to a piece of solid copper wire (stolen form a decorative coffee pot -- like 3/32nd" dia. ) and swabbed around to make sure nothing was hiding. Installed the steel-sert, staked it as the instructions said and -- boom-- so far, no problem.

First I'd try the thread chaser though-- the repair is always on my mind, especially when I remove the plug.
I think you did the right thing by replacing the threads. When they strip like that and you just use a thread chaser you might have only 50% of the thread left. Nothing could be worse than bopping down the road and her the plug go POOF and it goes shooting out of the hole.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Regardless of method used, I'd still put grease in the flutes of the tap. Not much, but a little bit. Just to keep the most amount of shavings from entering the engine as possible.

GB :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Just take your time whetever you do! I did this repair quite sloppily with the head still on (even tried the grease trick) and got shavings in the cylinder. The good news is I got to learn how to take apart an engine once mine didn't run anymore.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts