Honda Twins banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all. disassembling the head to my K5.
Could you use a conventional valve spring compressor to push down on the torion bar, while the valve retainers are removed, then "decompress" the torsion bar?
or a special tool or procedure for removing them. I read a reply from Znabb saying he used a 14mm wench to help push down the end of the torsion bar the is bolted to the side of the head.

any ideas? thanks for looking
-dan

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Dan,
I am not a pro but I used the following procedure.
Screw out the bolts (1) on both right and left side about 5 mm. Then carefully pry a screwdriver between the shafts (2) so the arms at the screws comes out. Then remove the bolts, hold the arm slightly upwards with a 14 mm wrench and pry it off the dowel pin carfully with a screwdriver.

[attachment=0:1t02e8wa]SSA50593-1024.jpg[/attachment:1t02e8wa]

Hmm... Does this explanation make any sense to you?

Attachments

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes this makes perfect sense. i was trying a similar method that involved a 14mm wrench which i credit you for, and a pair of vice grips and tried pull the bar out while prying up on the wrench, without much luck. I shall try this method this morning. Thanks for the quick reply!
sincerely
-Dan

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Znabb, it is 7:45 am eastern u.s. time. Your method worked great. All the valves are out and the head is fully disassembled ready for the machine shop. The torion bar engineering is unbelieveable! Thank you again.
-Dan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts