Honda Twins banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just saw this on EBay - a complete K1/K2 steering stem/clamp, with damper.
Here's your chance to get a nice friction damper on your K3-K7 450.
All you'd have to do is replace your big cap nut with this one and transplant the damper assembly, would bolt right up !!

Then you could turn around and sell the clamp and stem, maybe end up getting the whole thing for free!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0283517978&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT&viewitem=

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
I've seen a couple of those lately. It had crossed my mind about doing a transplant to my K7. Although the same thought had crossed my mind about a Scotts dampner and a custom mount... Hmmm.... :ugeek:

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bird76Mojo said:
I've seen a couple of those lately. It had crossed my mind about doing a transplant to my K7. Although the same thought had crossed my mind about a Scotts dampner and a custom mount... Hmmm.... :ugeek:

GB -

I just don't care for the look of the hydraulic things that you normally see.
And the Scotts, at well over $300, is just out of my league.
And the old friction type really do work just fine.
I recall the the Ceriani forks I used to run on my K2's came with a friction type as well - if they're good enough for Ceriani..........

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Prairie said:
I've got one of those on my 450, although the knob is broken. I suspect you could weld on something better than the plastic knob. They are pretty brittle after all this time...
I don't think it's plastic, as we think of it - I think it may be bakelite or something similar.
I see the knobs by themselves on EBay very occasionally.
I'll bet you could scour a big auto part store and come up with a good replacement......

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
An Ebay seller sent me pictures of a knob I was eyeing to put on a KO damper assembly that I was also bidding on. To me it looks like it would'nt fit because of these pics with the bolt built in...
[attachment=2:bycbrkxl]HPIM2112.JPG[/attachment:bycbrkxl]
[attachment=1:bycbrkxl]HPIM2110.JPG[/attachment:bycbrkxl]
[attachment=0:bycbrkxl]HPIM2111.JPG[/attachment:bycbrkxl]

Attachments

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bird76Mojo said:
An Ebay seller sent me pictures of a knob I was eyeing to put on a KO damper assembly that I was also bidding on. To me it looks like it would'nt fit because of these pics with the bolt built in...
GB -

A bigger problem is the detent spring - the knob in the photo has its ribs on the inside.
I think the damper you were looking at requires the ribs to be on the outside of the knob shaft??

·
Registered
29 Posts
tbpmusic said:
All you'd have to do is replace your big cap nut with this one and transplant the damper assembly, would bolt right up !!
I pretty sure you would need to install the bottom clamp/steering tube since the underside is specific to the damper model. There is a mount for the friction assembly that's not on the non-damper clamp.

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
450K0 assy looks like this.I have seen them come up on ebay several times as complete assys.Rear of steering damper friction disc item no 15 mounts over lug on main frame .Beware you have the correct 2 K0 handlebar holders (chromed) If you try to use K1 or above ones you'll not turn the correct damper knob without fouling the centre of the handlebars.Been there done that but you could use the K1 round knob damper if thats a problem.Regards Chris.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Does anyone have a picture of the bottom of the lower triple clamp? It looks like part #11 needs a stud to locate it from turning? My triple has a lug built in but no hole drilled or tapped. I could do that no problem if it would work though..

I can't believe that damper went so cheap! I did'nt bid because I thought it'd go too high.. Then I forgot. :roll:

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
Hope these pics help.Item 10 on previous pic should show hole in it for mounting stud.Yes it does screw into underside of triple tree.If youv'e not got the correct stud cut the head off a std bolt & screw in underside of tree then fit item 10, then a std locknut on underside & lock it up, then all lower bits.Don't forget to drill a hole across bottom of thread to fit a splitpin having already fitted everything loosely to get correct length for stud you are making. Regards Chris.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Thanks for the pics! That's exactly what I needed! :D I was thinking today that when I slid the damper through the stem, the bottom of my stem is'nt level enough for the parts to fit tightly together. There's some weld in the way where the stem is welded into the lower tree. Although I am still missing some parts to the damper.. Ill have to wait until I get the rest I suppose.

Could'nt I just drill and tap a hole, then use a button head allen screw with threadlocker??

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
Providing youv'e got items 9,10,12,18 all the other parts can be easily made yourself.I've made all the other bits in the past.The steering damper friction disc item 15 has friction material on both sides which comes into contact with items10 & 11 when knob is turned.This has to remain free for adjustment to be made by the knob so don't lock anything up underneath if you get my drift.Regards Chris

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.