Honda Twins banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What it considered the 450's cruising speed?
50 is ok, 60 is buzzy.. 70 seems to be a bit much for all day driving or touring cross country?
What are your thoughts, as I will probably moving the bikes back home. This is a 300 mile trip down the interstate.

Thanks, Bill

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
I don't have a lot of hours on a 450 but my 350 will buzz along at 65 all day.....and I do mean buzz. The motor is fine with it but you'll tingle when you're done. I have to think that a 300 mile, 70 mph trip would be right in the meat of the 450's power band and the 450 is certainly capable of that.

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
Throw a 17 tooth countershaft sprocket on it...Your hands will thank you..... :lol:

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
Order at any Honda dealer, or aftermarket ones are even available at JCWhitney....

·
Registered
176 Posts
Do you usually have to add a link to your drive chain with a single tooth upgrade? I was thinking of doing that to my 360's front sprocket.

·
Registered
175 Posts
No. Same chain length. www.jtsprockets.com for 450 – 500 - look for JTF278.17 You can also get other sizes. Last two digits = # of teeth. This sprocket # is not designated for the CB 450/500 - not to worry. It fits correctly in every respect. haven't gotten one for quite a while - I think they cost around $14. I use a 16 - but I ride in mountainous areas and on unimproved (sometimes rocky dirt tracks) roads. Still easily good for 70 mph, and I don't go much faster than that - I get tired fighting the wind (no windscreen)...

·
Registered
176 Posts
That's good to hear. I've got a CB360 with a 16 tooth front sprocket, but a lot of people recommended the 17 tooth for a bit higher cruising speed at lower RPMs (at a cost of slightly less acceleration). This matches my driving style and I just bought a brand new heavy-duty 530 chain (non o-ring). Thanks Kerry!

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Do you usually have to add a link to your drive chain with a single tooth upgrade? I was thinking of doing that to my 360's front sprocket.

Eric -

It would depend on whether the axle is at the very front of the adjuster slots before you change sprockets.
If so, you may have to use another link.
If not, there may be enough room to push the wheel forward and use the chain as-is.

·
Registered
176 Posts
OK, I understand that. You're saying there is a little wiggle room to use the adjusters to make it fit (provided that there is actually wiggle room in the play of the adjusters). My current (old) chain is towards the rear half of the adjusters. I imagine the new chain will be tighter, but I will find out when I test fit the new sprockets along with the new chain.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts