Honda Twins banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

If I were to disconnect my negative battery cable while my bike is running, would it continue to run? Or would it shut down?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I believe the engine (and everything else) would die, as the bike runs entirely off the battery.

A 450 will start and run without a charging system (for a little while), but not without a battery.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick response. This was the answer I was expecting and wanted to confirm. Someone else told me if my charging sysytem was working properly I could disconnect the battery and the bike would continue to run. Skeptical as I am, I wanted to go to the "pros" on this one. ;)

·
Registered
659 Posts
PAScrambler...

I've been inspecting my Bomber charging system and have found it to be in good working order. As adivsed here I am certain my battery is below standard so I'm ording a new AGM battery.

I've found that the Bomber will run without battery as long as the rev's are above say 3k rpm or more. It will not idle without a well charged battery.

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
It will run, but not well, and again, the revs must be sufficient for the charging system to produce enough electricity (2500 to 3000 minimum).... HOWEVER, the Honda system uses the battery as a "buffer" as well as a supply, so running consistantly in that condition will damage the charging components (rectifier first usually)........Generally speaking, the Hondas must have the battery in circuit to function correctly....

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Bombers are a little different than the 5-speed 450's, more like a 305 in the context of charging........

Besides, removing the negative battery cable is the same as removing the battery entirely.
Though I'd never argue with Steve about this stuff........

·
Registered
175 Posts
The motor will run as long as the revs are up, and I'm pretty sure it doesn't take 3000 RPM. I've had the positive strap connector break on a 450 and on a 500T (twice on that one) isolating the battery and the motor keeps running - but not smoothly or well, and it isn't a good idea to run it that way. Headlight brightness depends on RPM - makes it a lot brighter but probably not for long. Fortunately, I carry with my tool kit a wire with clips on both ends to bypass the part of any circuit that fails (I do take into consideration the age of the machine...), so I was able to jump from the battery post to the solenoid post and have charging and ignition, so I could kick start the bike. That positive connector seems to be a bit of a weak point in the circuit. All of them broke at the 90º bend.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts