Honda Twins banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from a vacation and waiting for me on the doorstep was a box with my new(used) lower case halves.

The seller (eBay auction) even cleaned it up a bit so I started inspecting it. I saw what looked like a tiny crack at the end of a passage where the locating pit goes. I then checked the locating pin and it appears to have been "pusheed" up into the hole and that is what cracked the case.

I can see how this could be overlooked but the end result is that I need to see if I can fix it or return it. I'd rather not return it since it was only about $60 including shipping. Hmmm, with that price maybe they knew it was bad.

My thought is this. The locating pin stops most of the oil to the hole. I was thinking that I could drill a small hole into the case where the crack is. Then, I could use a punch and knock the locating pin out to it's proper position. Then, I could use my handy-dandy TIG welder and weld up the small crack and hole. Hell, I could probably make it easy on myself and just use some JB Weld on the whole thing.

Let here your thoughts on my plan.

[attachment=0:a6v2n39e]PICT1402.JPG[/attachment:a6v2n39e]


[attachment=1:a6v2n39e]PICT1401.JPG[/attachment:a6v2n39e]
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,926 Posts
Take that tig and stick an electrode to the pin itself. Then try to pull it out? You could tig that crack from the backside..

Or am I missing something?

GB :mrgreen:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got a chance to try and fix this case tonight and it kinda/sorta turned out ok.

The first thing I did was pick on point on the case and center punched it so the drill wouldn't walk around. Next, I used a long #30 drill bit from my airplane building tool box. It worked well and I could feel when the drill hit the bottom of the locating pin. Next, I took a small punch and just drove the pin out from the back side so about 1/8th inch was showing. After that, I took the tig welder to it and patched the hole. In hindsight, I probably should have just used some JB Weld. Since it's not a structural, the JB Weld would have worked fine, looked fine and been easier to accomplish since my TIG skills are rusty.
 

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top