Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mike -

Were you able to find those stainless 10x1.25 cap nuts for headbolts ???

I've lost my link to the place I was getting them from, now I can't find them anywhere.
I guess some flat lug nuts for autos would work, them come in that size, but they're usually chrome......

It's always something.

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Re: 1970CB450

tbpmusic said:
Mike -

Were you able to find those stainless 10x1.25 cap nuts for headbolts ???

I've lost my link to the place I was getting them from, now I can't find them anywhere.
I guess some flat lug nuts for autos would work, them come in that size, but they're usually chrome......

It's always something.
Yes, I bought them as part of my large SS purchase a while back. When I tried them the other day they wouldn't fit. I found they were 10 x 1.5 instead of 1.25. I was looking through another bag of parts I bought several months ago and realized I also bought the stock nuts (acorn) shape which are chrome plated.

Austin Bolt is pretty good and I'm sure they would send you what ever you need.
http://www.yellowbot.com/austin-bolt-co-austin-tx.html

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts

tbpmusic said:
Austin Bolt doesn't deem to have a web site......
Nope, no web site. If you know what you need just give them a call with a credit card. If nothing else, let me know what you need and I'll stop by and get it. Most of the stuff they have in stock but if it's an odd item, it might take a couple of days.

I can take credit cards or PayPal if it's a bunch of stuff. If you just need a couple of nuts or something, I've got a bunch of stuff here and I'll send it to you if I have it.

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts

I worked on the alternator cover a little this evening along with the valve covers. It turns out the rear valve cover did not come from the factory in a polished state. It looks like the front and side covers did. There is a coating on the rear cover that does not come off with stripper. Instead I had to sand it aggressively and it took a long time.

Here is another shot of the head with the NOS head nuts in place.

The alternator cover with the new hardware in place. When I ordered the Stainless Steel hardware, to keep it simple, I rounded up or down on the sizes. For example, if the parts manual called for a 8 x 32 I ordered an 8 x 30. If it called for a 8 x 26 I ordered another 8 x 30. Typically, if it's only 2mm shorter there shouldn't be a problem. If it's 3mm longer (as with the alternator cover screws shown), I might have to cut a couple of threads off which is not big deal. Doing it this way saves a lot of work on the bolt store and a lot of work and storage issues on my part.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Mike -

I just need some cap nuts for Nathan's 450 head, stainless of course.
I also hae a supply of 10x1.5, but the ones needed are 10x1.25 I think.
Need 8 for this project, but I wouldn't mind having a few "sets" of 8, for future projects.

Whatever is required, just let me know............

·
Registered
3,926 Posts

I'd be interested in a group purchase on the stainless ones if it's possible, or you'd be willing to do that.. ;)

Maybe we could start a list of members that are interested..?

GB :mrgreen:

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts

Great idea Bird!.... Put me down for one set of 8 (I'm guessing $10/$12 will cover that, assuming we buy a box of 100... but if it gets much over $15, I'll have to rethink....)
:lol: Steve

·
Registered
3,926 Posts

So far that's 3 sets then.. Me, Bill, and Steve.. :ugeek:

Come on everyone, step right up. Get your hot nuts here!!! :lol:

So whatya say Mike?? ;)

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Bird76Mojo said:

So whatya say Mike?? ;)

No, I'll take 4 sets, thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts

tbpmusic said:
Bird76Mojo said:

So whatya say Mike?? ;)

No, I'll take 4 sets, thanks.
WOW? It looks like there is a lot of interest in the Stainless Steel Acorn nuts.

Bill has offered to be the middle man in all this so let me work through him after I get some prices.

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts

So far, we have interest in 6 sets of 8 nuts....That's almost halfway to a box of 100
If memory serves, the 10x 1.25 is the pitch used on the top shock nuts as well.....

·
Registered
3,926 Posts

If the rear shock nuts are the same then I'll take two of those as well with washers if available. :D

Maybe we should start a new thread on this, you think Mike???

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
As per your request, I split these off GB.......

Bill,
Can you check and verify that the shock nuts are 10x1.25 as well please?

:D Steve

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Sweet! I didn't want to clutter up Mike's killer 450 thread..

Bills post about the acorns is missing though. He wants a few sets..

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Yes, I got the "quote" that specifies that into the "new" thread... Sometimes, it's hard to decide where to split it off....LOL....

·
Registered
134 Posts
http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/de ... 000&ucst=t

local fastenal sells them. the local shops like we have in laporte wont have them but they will get them next day out of the supply house and wont charge you shipping or handling. they will also do 1-2 pcs orders and not bit...well complain like you are a hassle to them. that is the experiance i have had with them. just my 2 cents

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
I will take a set. I am looking at my nuts right now and they could use replacing.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
roundman72 said:
http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/detail.ex?sku=MA2580000A20000&ucst=t

local fastenal sells them. the local shops like we have in laporte wont have them but they will get them next day out of the supply house and wont charge you shipping or handling. they will also do 1-2 pcs orders and not bit...well complain like you are a hassle to them. that is the experiance i have had with them. just my 2 cents
Thanks, Lloyd - I'm going to investigate that.
$2.64 each at Mike's supplier is too high for me.....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.