Honda Twins banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i posted some pics on the introduction thread a while ago about my plan to fit a 500/4 engine in a uk superdream frame - a 400 hawk in the us. i basically threw it together after cutting some of the frame away and it looked ok until i put some wheels on it. the front of the motor is a little close to the front tyre so i'm not sure if its a go yet.

in the second pic i'm holding the ruler vaguely horizontal and there is 140mm between filter bolt and tyre. i'm not sure that's enough.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
140mm sounds ok to me, just make sure that your front tire can't hit your exhaust with forks at full compression when turned lock to lock.

I've got to admit that this project seems a little offbeat, but after a little poking around in the factory service manuals the engines aren't hugely different in weight and power output. I hope your frame mods to mount the 500 four are strong enough.

48hp @9000rpm weight 152lbs per FSM

vs.

43hp @9500rpm weight 132lbs per FSM

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
i fitted another set of forks with no internals and it looks like it could be ok. so i think it's a go! it's a really slow project though as i'm working on two cb750 f2 hondas at the mo. also, regarding frame strength, by cutting away part of the spine, i've created a bend point just where the lower grommet for the side panel fits. so i need to replace the strength lost at that point and also add some more bracing. i tend to over engineer in these circumstances as you cant take risks with motorcycle frames.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Trust me, I understand slow projects. It sure is nice to change up the pace now and then by working on a different bike with a different goal in mind.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts