Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know 400a change switches are getting hard to find.

When the bike is in neutral the change switch is off and the change relay transistor is on. This allows the starter motor to work, the motor to run in neutral with the side stand down and the motor to idle at 1250 + - 100 RPM with timing at 7.7 degrees BTDC>

When the bike is in gear the change switch is on and the change relay transistor is off. In this position the the starter motor wont work, the motor wont run with the side stand down even in neutral and the idle will be about 2000 + - 500 rpm with the timing at 15 degrees BTDC. The timing and rpm is done in the CDI box when the bike is put in gear.

If the change switch goes bad I think you could wire the change switch wires together and bypass the change switch. This will "tell" the bike its in gear. The starter motor wont work, the motor wont run with side stand down and the idle will stay high with the timing fed thru the SCR2 gate.

You could rewire the starter button or just use the kick start.

Down side

The bike will start in gear.
The motor wont run with side stand down.
The idle would stay high because the timing is triggered thru the SCR2 gate.

You might be able to lower the RPMs some at the carbs.

I have not tried this but it might keep the bike on the road till a change switch can be found.

Thoughts comments

Bill

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
The down side stuff is fairly easy except for the kick starting which would have to be done on the center stand since the engine won't fire/run with the side stand down. Of course there's the positive to that, you can leave the keys in it since no one would be able to fire it up and ride away without knowing how.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Jim. The change switch is a two step switch only to tell the operator what gear it is in by the indicator lights. As far as the ignition goes its a off on switch. I wonder if one of our members could come up with a single pole switch to replace the change switch. The indicator lights wouldnt work but if a rider with a 6 speed tranny knows what gear he is in a two speed should be easy.

Just a thought.

Bill

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jim do you think the bike could be kick started with the side stand up and the parking brake on?

How about an off on switch mounted on the handle bar and worked by hand before putting the bike in gear?

Im working on a 66 HD trike and a 65 ca160 at the moment. I think Ill find some time this winter and see if I can work around the change switch on my 400a.

Bill

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
The problem is kickstarting a free standing bike. It can be done with some practice and a good sense of balance. Fortunately these are very easy kickers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts