Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
If you mean the $59.95 Emgos like I have, yep - they're not the Hagons that everyone raves about, but my bike mostly goes in a straight line fast as I'm not a cornering freak and I'm very happy with them for the price

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I was actually looking the no-brand name one's but yeah, saw the Emgo's too. Question about the length you have, isn't 11.4" kind of short? Aren't our shocks 13 1/2"?

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Yes, I lowered both ends of my bike about 1.5", I think they were listed as 13" (330mm) originally. Mine are a bit firm, but I'm glad they are for both clearance and ride, it's pretty much just what I had in mind from the beginning (and for a great price)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gotcha. I might have to give them a try. Did you do anything with your forks, different springs or just pull them up through the triples?

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Just raised them up roughly an equal amount... did you look at the build thread? it's in my signature (but in fairness, it is pretty long)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I'm up to about page 15. Really nice bike Tom....and I don't mind the length of the thread. I love reading build threads like yours.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
thanks, I really appreciate it... a lot of it is dry discussion about the oil flow issue I was chasing that I ended up being the cause of myself, but in the end it was worth it all and it's one thing I'll never forget to look at in the future. I was looking at it today in the garage while cleaning it up a little and realized how a few random parts came together that fit pretty well - some of it good help, some of it the right parts plus a little good luck

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Holy cow Tom! That was some roller coaster ride dealing with those cams. Good on you for sticking with it...I never could have done that, no patience. I wondered why my son ever picked the 360. He could have got much newer bikes, much more reliable, not needing anywhere near the amount of maintenance these bikes require for the same amount of money he spent on it. But reading posts like yours always reminds me that when you invest time & energy into something the value is always higher. Very inspiring.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also, my favorite part is the tank. I polished a tank on one of my older bikes years ago. Something about it always put a smile on my face...until it got wet. Those things aren't stainless steel :eek:

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Thanks - there were times I felt uninspired, but I had way too much money in it and desire to complete it to give up... and of course, I'm glad I didn't. It's a lot of fun, small and light like a 350 but with about the same power to weight ratio of a mid-'70s CB750. It runs basically the same 1/8 mile time as my stock '78 CB750K8 with a Kerker 4-1 on it. That doesn't really get anyone's attention today with all the smaller bikes out there that have 60+ horsepower though... still, fun to ride

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Also, my favorite part is the tank. I polished a tank on one of my older bikes years ago. Something about it always put a smile on my face...until it got wet. Those things aren't stainless steel :eek:
Yeah, that tank won't rust for a while... I got lucky and found a suitable tank in chrome and it fit with the fenders nicely

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Getting back to the shocks discussion, shocks are on the way but this shock's clevis takes an 8mm bolt instead of our 10mm. Any reason why I can't put a sleeve in the lower mount instead of driling/tapping the shock?

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I don't suppose it would matter, but I'm a little surprised there's a difference - mine were the same size as stock. Which ones specifically did you order?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't think it'll be too difficult finding sleeves to fit....or I'll just drill/tap

·
Registered
54 Posts
Anybody using the $75 shocks from 4 into 1?
Don’t get the performance shocks which are $10 more. I bought those because I weigh 250 pounds. Even with me on the bike, they hardly compress at all. Terrible ride. I asked to exchange them and they wouldn’t do it. Shipping was also $20 to Phoenix. I asked if he would give me free shipping if I ordered the basic shocks and he offered a 10% discount code but he said it wouldn’t work on everything, just a few items. I’m disappointed in their product and service.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Yes, I lowered both ends of my bike about 1.5", I think they were listed as 13" (330mm) originally. Mine are a bit firm, but I'm glad they are for both clearance and ride, it's pretty much just what I had in mind from the beginning (and for a great price)
Just happened to see this old thread. I've been looking at those shocks to lower my '80 CM400E. Didn't realize you raised your fron forks ! Gotta read a little now ! Lol !

·
Registered
95 Posts
Don’t get the performance shocks which are $10 more. I bought those because I weigh 250 pounds. Even with me on the bike, they hardly compress at all. Terrible ride. I asked to exchange them and they wouldn’t do it. Shipping was also $20 to Phoenix. I asked if he would give me free shipping if I ordered the basic shocks and he offered a 10% discount code but he said it wouldn’t work on everything, just a few items. I’m disappointed in their product and service.
Not adding any point regarding shocks. In fact I'm looking for a pair.

I'm a consumer like you. 4 into 1 needs to survive for us to continue with these projects on classic motorcycles. What would they do with installed shocks? If they list it as refurbished, they may not make any money and spend the time in restocking. I feel for you and I'll not be happy either, but that's reality.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts