Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tried everything to fix my CL360’s racing idle (or is it hanging idle?). In any case, lots of reading on old threads here led me to the hypothesis that my felt throttle shaft washers are either dried out or ruined from a soak in carb cleaner. How do I remove the throttle shafts to assess their condition and replace? I’ve only seen instructions for older carbs like those on the 350s. I have Keihin 747a carbs, with the metal throttle shaft plugs on the outboard sides of the carbs. Both plugs are in place, by the way.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Spino, yes carb bath will dry out the throttle shaft seals. You can oil and if the rest of the intake is good, most likely it will correct your idling problem. Other sources of leaking can be the pilot screws seals or the carburetor to head boot. The way I do it is to removed the carbs. Duct tape one end of the carb to a shop vac, turn the vac on and apply a light weight oil to the area of the shaft where it goes through the carburetor body. It should drew the oil into the shaft seals. You can also oil the choke shafts. The choke shafts will not contribute to the idle problem, but the oil will make the choke move smoother. In post #76 of my build log I go through replacing the shaft seals. It is a lot of work and you can mess it up and cause damage. I wouldn't do it again unless oiling the seals doesn't work. I use Liquid Wrench aerosol white lithium oil and do this every spring. It makes for a nice smooth throttle.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jim! Turns out it is quite a bit easier to remove the throttle shafts on a 747 carb than those on older bikes like yours. Just needed to be careful with the circlips and butterflies and to make sure I have the order of reassembly organized. Indeed my right seal was very dry although it appeared to be intact for the most part. So I doused it in oil, as I did to the left side. Had to be careful pressing the brass seal seats back in but it’s all reassembled now! Hopefully it’s good to go when our blizzard is over.

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts
I was assembling a set of 360 carbs last night. Later carbs left out the spring between the throttle shafts which applies pressure 'outwards' making sure the nylon washers help seal shafts.
It's a very light spring, 8mm free length,around 4mm compressed 1.25mm wire diameter 1-1/2 turns. I know I've posted about it previously but no idea where in the last 10~12 yrs. I'll see if I can find a picture (Photobucket sucks, it may have been deleted?)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh fun! I was wondering what that spring did. Fortunately I have one and put it in place (after forgetting it the first time).

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts
LOL, it can be a PITA first time fitting one. Very east to leave out. Probably why it was discontinued on later models?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts