Honda Twins banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Done a major tune up, 1974 Honda 360 starts up in a few kicks and runs great for 5 minutes, then starts to loose power, won't idle, and makes some rubbing or snapping noises from the heads, one time when I got it home smoke was coming out the breather tube on top of the engine, and it smelled like when you drop some oil on a hot exhaust pipe.

We have added baffles to the straight pipes, added K & N pod air filters, adjusted the cam chain, adjusted the valves, installed new points, condenser, plugs, plug wires, plug end caps, coils, new fuel petcock, new fuel lines, had the carbs rebuilt and synchronized, bought non ethanol fuel, cleaned the oil filter, changed the oil, charged the battery, it was difficult to set the timing, but last time I checked it was right on, the compression is 150 psi per cylinder cold.

Could it need different carb jets, is the oil pump bad and not pumping enough oil through the engine?

Can anyone tell us what the problem is?

Thank you,

Tom

Attachments

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Did you replace the cam chain slippers?
Double check compression.
What's your battery voltage at when running?
How do your plugs look?
How do the coils feel when you start experiencing running issues?

Edit: are you turning the petcock off when not in use. Do you have gas in your oil?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Yeah that sounds like a loose cam chain to me. Could be your tappet clearances are too big too. Did you follow the procedure for reinstalling the cam chain tensioner?

·
Registered
555 Posts
And/or you have a problem with oil flow to the head and that rubbing is the cam frying itself over medium. I doubt it’s the pump, they’re borderline bulletproof. Did you have to force the right side engine cover on? Could you have a blocked passage?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have replaced the cam chain slippers, I did follow the procedure to adjust the cam chain before I adjusted the valves, I don't know what chain slippers are.
I will recheck the compression , last time it was 150 on each cylinder
Voltage was 13.7, it has a very small battery, but the stator seems to be charging
Plugs look black and sooty, I can only ride it 5 minutes before it starts acting up
I have never pulled the tank to check with coils after riding it, I assumed they were good since they are brand new would I check to see if they are hot?
I do turn off the peacock when not riding
No gas in the oil
Thanks for your responce

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I followed the procedure to adjust the cam chain, but I did not pull the tensioner, do you think it may be worn out?
I will double check the tapper / valve clearance
Thanks for your responce

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I several people are telling me I have a bad cam chain tensioner and a loose cam chain, I have had the right side cover off a few times and it goes on and off smoothly and doesn't leak, I pulled the oil filter and oil screen and cleaned them, but I did not look at the oil pump.
Thanks for your responce

·
Registered
555 Posts
If your cam chain was too loose for awhile, it isn’t uncommon for the tab on the actual damper at the bottom of the tensioner (the “seat”, where you set it in the engine) to get shorn off. You might try pulling the valve cover off, retracting the tensioner arm, seat the tensioner, then push on it, hard. I’d suggest you loop a bit of wire through the loop on top of the tensioner to be able to fish it out of the engine before doing this, but if it slips and pushes into the engine, you might need to replace that damper.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And/or you have a problem with oil flow to the head and that rubbing is the cam frying itself over medium. I doubt it’s the pump, they’re borderline bulletproof. Did you have to force the right side engine cover on? Could you have a blocked passage?
Since the right side cover goes on and off with no problems and no leaks, is there a way to check if I am getting oil flow to the top of the engine?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Take the tappet covers off, after a couple seconds you should get oil spray out of them.

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts
Have you done clutch cover transfer piece mod to moil system? Have I modified your carbs for K&N filters?
Short exhaust with internal baffles in pipe will cause extra heat to build up in head, you have way too much 'back pressure'as soon as you get to about 3.5K rpm

1 - 11 of 11 Posts