Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to try rebuilding my brake master cylinder. My snap ring pliers do not go deep enough to get to the snap ring. Any alternate suggestions?

I would like to stay with the old MC but plan "B" is to buy a new one. Bill,J-T, or anyone, do you know where I can get a new one?

Thanks,
Larry

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
ol55 said:
I would like to try rebuilding my brake master cylinder. My snap ring pliers do not go deep enough to get to the snap ring. Any alternate suggestions?

I would like to stay with the old MC but plan "B" is to buy a new one. Bill,J-T, or anyone, do you know where I can get a new one?

Thanks,
Larry
Plan B is good - don't mess about with your brakes, too important.

The aftermarket masters are commonly available on EBay..........that's where we all got ours.
Just do a Search there on "CB master"....
They're not always available, but if you watch for a couple of weeks, they'll show up....

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
Larry,
I rebuilt the master on my CM400 few weeks ago and had the same trouble finding a snap ring pliers to do the job. Ending up grinding a pair of inside/outside ones to meet my needs. After I removed the snap ring the process of rebuilding was pretty easy. When you get it apart if you see anything in the cylinder bore that is questionable, I absolutely agree with Bill, junk it and buy after market.
Oh and here's a picture of what I ended up with for a tool. Note I ground down the arms to allow them clearance inside the bore and I just lightly ground the pins because the snap ring is real close to the side wall. It's not pretty but it worked great.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Rebuilding your master cylinder will maybe save you $30 over a new
replacement. Unless you're really hard over on having an authentic
reconstruction I'd suggest the new one.

BTJM

I do have a 350G master cylinder (whole brake system for that matter)
but it would also need rebuilding so you wouldn't really gain anything.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the information and the picture. When to four different places looking for the right pliers. I am wondering what the inside looks like then go from there.

Larry

·
Registered
439 Posts

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
danWI said:
Bill, are you thinking of one of these replacement master cylinders?
http://desc.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_n...sories&_odkw=honda+CB+master&_osacat=0&_rdc=1

or will one of these work?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/16x1...4613535QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

i'm curuious which one your suggesting
danWI
Dan -

Your first link takes me to a page full of sprockets - ??

The second link would probably work ok, if the connectors were the same.
But my, isn't it attractive ?? :shock: :eek: :? :?

I'm thinking more like this one - others here have found the same one in the past.
It's advertised with connector sizes, piston size, etc. The blurb said it was for dual piston, but it works fine for me on single disk - that's also the conventional wisdom on that issue.
You get the master/brake lever and bolt/brake switch, all for about $50.
Bolts up in a couple of minutes, bleeds quickly, NO LEAKS :D :D

·
Registered
439 Posts

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Beware of those master cylinder copycats from overseas. So called "Brembos".. I've heard quite a bit of bad feedback on them. Quickly developing leaks, etc.. If you want to go with that style of master cylinder then get one for a Suzuki GSXR or similar.. You're gonna want a 17mm bore or similar for any dual disc applications.. Some people use the old Goldwing masters for that setup but personally I think they're ugly as heck...

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The good news is the clip is out. The bad news is I can't get the rest of it apart. I tried compressed air through the front and pushing against the spring. Any suggesstion on how to get it out?

As far as ebay, I don't have paypal.

Thanks,
Larry

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
ol55 said:
The good news is the clip is out. The bad news is I can't get the rest of it apart. I tried compressed air through the front and pushing against the spring. Any suggesstion on how to get it out?
Larry,
Would it be possible to take a picture of what you're dealing with? I'm better with visuals.
Mike

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here are some pics. I removed the snap ring from the piston side. The piston is not frozen but I wonder if the washer is.

I thought the manual said to use compressed air on this side to force it out. no go.

Thanks,
Larry

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
I wonder if you could grab the piston with a needle nose vise-grip (regular needle nose could suffice) and twist and pull that out? I wouldn't worry about damaging the piston as the rebuild kit will include a new one.

If that doesn't work setting up a paypal account is probably easier! :lol:

·
Registered
29 Posts
I bought a $4 pair of extra long needle nose pliers and reshaped the prongs with a grinder. Got them thin enough to easily work my way to the circlip.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Use a pick or pointed scribe,is not rocket science,just take your time,clean out groves for snap ring with pick.
Sand master cyl with 1200 grit paper and wash with hot water,blow dry and reassemble with new parts.
Bench bleed,install on bike and bleed at caliper.
All,done for cheep. Good luck.

·
Registered
32 Posts
OK wont come apart,put in oven at 300 degs for 30 minutes,put on gloves,put in vise,pull on piston with twisting motion.
If wont come now,throw in trash and get replacement.
Terry

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
:shock: Just putting it back together :oops: Just checking - Is there only one groove for the snap ring or is there another groove for the boot clip? or does the boot clip just wedge against the side? :oops:

Larry

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
That's an awful lot of trouble for a component that can be replaced with a $50 aftermarket master.
Some things just aren't worth the trouble - for brakes, take no chances.
A new one will bolt up, work great, and won't leak all over your paint.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts