Honda Twins banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all, haven't been here in a while since my projects were on hold but glad to be back.

I replaced the front wheel on my 400f with the front wheel of a 350f (because the previous owner painted the 400f spokes red). There was about a month between removing the old wheel and putting the 350f wheel on and I'm sure I put everything back the way is was BUT there is about 3/8" or so extra space on with bare axle (and yes, I did put the axle spacer back on).

So now if I bolt it all up the front wheel slides back and forth about 3/8" on the axle.

I've already checked out fiche and I'm sure I have it together right. I thought the 350f & 400f front wheels were identical... is there a difference? did I do something wrong? are the 350f forks a different spacing than the 400f forks?

What gives?

(and yes, I know it's not a twin but I sold all my twins, this part is basically the same, and the people here have so much experience with all the bikes... and so dang smart!)

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
...IF I remember correctly, the directionality of the axle is critical... Unlike the 350 twins, the axle inserts from the other side of the wheel, and the "hex" section of the nut will "take-up" that space... Make sure you use the "nut' with the deeper "pocket' and the correct axle .....Remember to double check that the wheel is centered in the forks, and the rotor sits correctly in the caliper..... The 350/4 and 400/4 both use the same part number hub...(identical), so you must have mixed axle/spacers/or nuts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, it looks like if the nut had a pocket that the axle could slide into about 3/8", or if the axle were shorter, it would solve the problem.

Looking at the fiche again I do have the nut on backwards... hex goes to the inside instead of outside.... going about out to check it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That was it! Hex side of the nut goes to the hub instead of outward, thanks!

Here's a pic:

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Glad we solved it!.... sometimes it's just something so simple we overlook it...(I know I'm guilty of that too).......The bike is shaping up nicely!....

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks.

It might be more interesting, for comparison, for you to see how it looked when I bought it:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts