Honda Twins banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed some 350A carbs on my KO CL 350. The carbs that were on it were from a later year. I was having some problems with idle and got a hold of some correct carbs and sent them to SCI for sonic cleaning and rebuilding. Long story short... the left carb is not drawing much fuel I don't think. Bike will start on choke then run without choke for a bit (this is with me on the throttle, no idle yet) then only run a low r's with throttle wide open as it warms. I manipulated the throttles separately. Letting go of the wide open left throttle did nothing. Letting go of the right killed it.
Main question now after opening up left carb: Does the 350A carb have the little rubber plug over the slow jet like the later carbs. This one did NOT and the casting is a tiny bit bigger there. The plug from a later carb fits very loosely.
I'm about to get to the other bowl to compare but as you know on a CL the right carb is a little harder to access.

Thanks, Edy

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, no rubber plug in the other one either so that's probably not it.
No obvious signs of debris either but a fair amount of aluminum oxide on the inside of the castings.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is a pretty lonely thread but here goes again.
After taking the carbs off and on a few times I'm getting consistent results.
Bike starts right up cold on choke.
Then will run without choke.
Both carbs respond to throttle ( together and individually) for a bit.
Gradually as bike warms throttle must be held wide open to run at 1200 or so.
Runs faster if I choke it.
Will keep running at low r's for a bit then dies.
Starts right back up when cold.
Turn of gas when dies and check for gas in bowl.
Gas will fill a spare bowl most of the way.
Got clues?
Thanks, Edy

PS. fresh motor was running before with other carbs but would not idle.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
If it wasn't for having gas in the bowls after it dies I'd say you have a restriction in the line from the tank to the carbs. Still may be worth a check.

Probably one of those things requiring a flat hand to the forehead when you do find it. :roll:

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
It's pulling extra air in somewhwere when it's hot.... Choking allows whatever air is still being pulled through the carb to drag enough fuel in with it to rev the engine..... My guess would be head gasket leak........

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
I was thinking the same thing as Steve.. Something is getting hot and expanding, letting air in..

Compression check??

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I drained about a half gallon of gas into a bucket from the petcock (filters on the line, petcock screen good) and the flow was steady the whole time. The gas cap was on. Time to check the motor maybe. Being sent out of town again so won't get back to it until next weekend.

Edy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts