Honda Twins banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all

I'm reading up on laws for motorcycles in Minnesota, and came across some potential problems. Firstly, I found that the law says that a motorcycle must have running lights. Well, a 71 CB350 with lights on all the time may be a problem - charging is the achilles heel on these, especially if you don't thrash around. So, is there a bulb or a wiring configuration that can accomplish this? The PO had an extra bulb in all turn signal housings, which I assume was for this restriction, though I removed them. Also, I'd really like to put LED lights in for indicator lights but am having trouble finding a source for these.
I know its not the correct thread, but I also could use a new headlight enclosure. The latch 'hole' on the housing has snapped and gluing with epoxy, super glue and gorilla glue hasn't really kept in together. Is there a metal enclosure that works on this bike with the bulb and glass?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

·
Registered
608 Posts
think you need to re-read those laws if the motorcycle wasn't orignally equipped with something it would be grandfathered in like pre-64 cars not needing seat belts, Minn. headlight law states headlight always on, if it has a headlight off switch as part of original equipment (pre-77) it would be legal to run headlight off I would think altho' you might have to make your case in court... just another one of our freedoms trashed by activist legislators

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
My 71 CB350 has running lights, which I'm not sure are stock.

My 77 Suzuki GS400 did not have running lights. I can't remember if my 74 Honda CB360 had them. I don't think it did.

I've only ever heard that most states have laws that require you to have a headlamp/tail lamp that can operate without the engine running (ie: a battery on board.) That's easy to get away with though.

And two of my cars have not had seat belts in them and the police just smile and leave me alone because both cars are old enough to not legally require them.

In other words, I wouldn't put in too much effort to fix the issue. A few of my Vespas are devoid of turn signals letalone running lamps. I've never been pulled over for it. I have had a cop congratulate me for knowing my hand signals when he was behind me though ;) I see people all the time running without turn signals on their bikes and/or non DOT approved tail lamps.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice. It was worrisome because the PO seemed to think running lights were important enough to gum up the electrical system with lots and lots of crappy electrical tape and non color coded wires. I don't have a lot of motorcycle riding experience - the only reason I have one is because I was 'allowed' to get a non working one, under the assumption that I wouldn't be able to fix it. whoops.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I do like running lights on a bike with turn signals (wired in to low beam only) lets oncoming traffic know you are a bike not a one-eyed car when you dip down from hi-beam,

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Must have been PO's idea - and thats a pretty good one in the case of a one eyed car. I may find a way to do a better job than he did though- just a light dangling in the housing bouncing around was what he did.

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Seems to be a little confusion between "running lights" and "lights on when running"...

When you say "running lights", I'm thinking of an extra filament in the front turn signals that are on when the headlights are on. Dimmer than the turn signal filament. From that definition, the 350's didn't come with running lights and aren't required by any law to have 'em. Some newer bikes have 'em, some don't.

When you're talking about laws that say "lights must be on when running" you're talking about the headlight and taillight being on when you're riding. In that case, your 350 must comply. No bikes are exempt from that, AFAIK. There may be some individual officers/departments that look the other way, but AFAIK, the law doesn't exempt bikes just because they came with weak charging systems...

Again, this is different from, say, having blinkers or not having blinkers. That's a different issue yet again. If your bike didn't originally come with blinkers, the law allows use of hand signals.

But, again, the law doesn't allow you to ride around with no headlight during the day because "the bike has a weak charging system that wasn't designed to run continuously..." Sorry.

And on yet another topic, the requirement to have the ability to have the lights on when the motor was not running was a FEDERAL law, not individual state laws. And I've never heard of any state actually checking for that... You may get pulled over for not having your headlight on while you're driving on the road, but I've never heard of anyone checking for the additional refinement of being able to run the lights with the engine off, even though that was the original federal requirement on the OEMs.

Just my two (or three) cents... :mrgreen:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hello,

I just added running lights to my CB350 this weekend. It wasn't very hard.

I used four 1157 bulb bases I bought at Autozone. They were $2.99 each. I got the ones with the "claws" around the edge, so it could be popped in and out of the lens assembly it was intended for (not my bike).

Bascially, cut and pull out the "claw" ring. Take apart the turn signal, remove the old 1156 single element base, and put in the new 1157 double element base. The turn signal lead will go to the same original wire. For the on-all-the-time marker lights, I wired the front ones into the low-side headlight wire, and the rear marker lights into the license plate light circuit.

Wow, what a difference! It's like riding a christmas tree at night. I highly recommend it. I haven't had a problem with charging, at least not yet. I do have a solid-state rectifier, which helps.

If you want more info, let me know.

71hondacbtwin

·
Registered
24 Posts
71hondacbtwin said:
Hello,

I just added running lights to my CB350 this weekend. It wasn't very hard.

I used four 1157 bulb bases I bought at Autozone. They were $2.99 each. I got the ones with the "claws" around the edge, so it could be popped in and out of the lens assembly it was intended for (not my bike).

Bascially, cut and pull out the "claw" ring. Take apart the turn signal, remove the old 1156 single element base, and put in the new 1157 double element base. The turn signal lead will go to the same original wire. For the on-all-the-time marker lights, I wired the front ones into the low-side headlight wire, and the rear marker lights into the license plate light circuit.

Wow, what a difference! It's like riding a christmas tree at night. I highly recommend it. I haven't had a problem with charging, at least not yet. I do have a solid-state rectifier, which helps.

If you want more info, let me know.

71hondacbtwin
Do you have any pictures or wiring diagrams you could send me for this? I'm thinking about doing it to my bike.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts