Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1972 CL 350 stock. I normally use the electric start which works great but today when I press the button nothing happens.

When I turn the key to on, the headlight doesn't turn on. For the life of me i can't remember if it did or not.

With the key ON, pressing the button makes no sound or click.

With the key ON I can kick start it and then the headlight and all other electrical light up normal.

The key off turns off the bike, the kill switch stops the bike and prevents it from kicking over when on.

The battery seems charged up fine based in volts.

Wires from the starter to the solenoid seem tight.

Could it be a bad solenoid, it appears to be original.

Thanks

Crash

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I got to a better spot for testing. The solenoid does make a click when you push the starter. The battery is also charging when running. If the solenoid is bad, is it ok to run with just a kick until I get a new one?

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Yes, no harm will come by just using the kickstart. Are you sure of the battery condition? Hearing a slight click from the starter/solenoid and having no headlight until it's running sounds to me like a battery that only holds a surface charge and has no cranking amps. Disconnect the negative terminal of the battery, charge it (but no with higher than a 2 amp charger) and when it's up, take the charger off it and let it rest for a half hour and then check the voltage with a meter before reconnecting the negative terminal. If after a half hour it isn't reading 12.6v, it's done

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Seems like it is the battery. I checked it this morning and it now read 10.x. I jumpered over a good battery from another bike and the starter worked fine and the bike started normally. Now to find a place that I can get a battery these days.

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Get an AGM. They last at least twice as long as a standard lead-acid and no filler caps, they're sealed. I literally bought the AGM for my big bike a couple years ago from Walmary, the brand was Chromebattery and that's what was in it when I bought it over 5 years prior, and it lasted at least 5 years as I don't know how long it was in the bike before I bought it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts