Honda Twins banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 350 is difficult to shift into neutral whether from 1st or 2nd. It always slips past neutral and goes from 2nd to 1st or vice versa. I have the crankcase apart and i noticed the neutral “peak” on the shifting drum stopper has no notch in it to keep it in neutral. Ive attached a photo of my shifting drum stopper.

however, I noticed on the honda rebel 250 shifting drum stopper, there is a notch to keep the shifting drum from slipped past neutral.
has anyone ever carved a notch in the shifting drum stopper to make it easier to shift into neutral? This seems like it could be a improvement. It seems a lot of 350s struggle to find neutral.
Here is a photo of the honda rebel shifting drum stopper

let me know your thoughts!

·
Registered
1971 SL350 K1
282 Posts
The spring loaded ball will hold it if it's working correctly. Not sure of the workings of the rebel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I actually didnt realize the spring loaded ball held it in neutral. Some on facebook said my clutch adjustment may be off and the clutch may not be fully disengaging. Im replacing the friction plates and will inspect the clutch

·
Registered
353 Posts
They were always hard to find neutral. I remember reaching down to shift mine by hand alot.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts
With a bit of experience you learn to shift into neutral before coming to a stop.
The oil drag on plates will almost always put some drag on gear dogs (similar to an automatic transmission car 'creeping' when in 'Drive')
Neutral detent isn't on the face cam as on the 'Rebel', hollow bolt top right rear of crankcase with a special tab washer (re-useable if your careful).
Ball bearing isn't metric size, either 1/4" or 5/16", been too long since I've had to do one.
Probably worthwhile removing it and cleaning everything up as they are very often oxidised or corroded because of condensation plus are quite well 'hidden' from oil splashing about being so close to shift drum

Reactions: Frankjames

·
Registered
6 Posts
I actually didnt realize the spring loaded ball held it in neutral. Some on facebook said my clutch adjustment may be off and the clutch may not be fully disengaging. Im replacing the friction plates and will inspect the clutch
Just adjusting the clutch may do it. The clutch may not be releasing enough.

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts
I have no idea why 'everyone' want's to replace clutch plates all the time?
They are VERY VERY rarely a problem.
It's almost always the adjustment, cable, adjustment or weak clutch springs that are the issue with almost all Honda's from 1970's to 90's

Reactions: Frankjames
1 - 10 of 10 Posts