Honda Twins banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The original cam bolts are marked with 11 on the bolt head. I have read that they are not standard 8.8 bolts. And they also do not feel like standard bolts when you torque them. But does anyone actually know how hard they are? Possible options are typically 10.9 or 12.9.

The advised and tested 12 - 15 Ft/lbs I read in the sticky topic on this sub forum suggests that it is a 12.9 bolt. As far as I know 13 Ft/lbs (or 17.652 Nm) is the advised torque on a dry M6 12.9 bolt

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
If you are replacing them remember that on is a SHOULDERED Bolt to insure proper alignment of the Cam Sprocket.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
I just looked at a Todd Henning racing sprocket, and the pic showed jdm? 10.9 bolts. Bolt depot described as automotive grade. I've no experience, but would be wary of hardware store bins.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
If you are replacing them remember that on is a SHOULDERED Bolt to insure proper alignment of the Cam Sprocket.
I know... I have 4 of the shouldered bolts in my stash. I just need the other ones. By the way: with a degreeable sprocket the knock bolt is not really needed anyway.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just looked at a Todd Henning racing sprocket, and the pic showed jdm? 10.9 bolts. Bolt depot described as automotive grade. I've no experience, but would be wary of hardware store bins.
Where can I see that pic? I have the same adjustable THR sprocket. He forgot to include the bolts with my sprocket and he did not want to send them to me afterwards.

I find it hard to believe that those bolts are 10.9. Purely because of the advised torque. 12-15 ft/lbs is too much for 10.9 bolts. I asked THR about the exact hardness and he did not give an exact answer. He just said they were hardened. I was getting fed up asking him.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Where can I see that pic? I have the same adjustable THR sprocket. He forgot to include the bolts with my sprocket and he did not want to send them to me afterwards.

I find it hard to believe that those bolts are 10.9. Purely because of the advised torque. 12-15 ft/lbs is too much for 10.9 bolts. I asked THR about the exact hardness and he did not give an exact answer. He just said they were hardened. I was getting fed up asking him.
I wonder if some of the change overall coming from THR in the last couple years is a result of the father being further removed from the operation... I don't really know anything, but I recall slow and less-than-informative exchanges during the time I was first sourcing high-performance stuff for my 450 in the beginning. Long wait for responses, looked to be copy and paste answers sometimes - and virtually no follow-up, as if adding a new customer wasn't that important

·
Registered
2,837 Posts

eBay auction

·
Registered
309 Posts
Jeeze, sounds like that guy doesn't give a flying you-know-what about customer service, or about how people review his business. Gotta say that's against the norm in the MC industry. Also a great way to alienate potential new or return customers. I guess sales figures and/or PR are of no concern to him. Oh well...

I happen to find myself currently in the position of needing a set of the correct cam bolts in question.

Is ebay my best bet? Or are there other places that I should be looking?

Based on what I've read above, it seems that it is unlikely that I will find replacement bolts of the correct grade at local hardware stores. I'm also somewhat wary of using "used" bolts that have been pulled from an engine of unknown milage and condition. Although I'm pretty sure that is exactly what I'll find on ebay...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Based on what I've read above, it seems that it is unlikely that I will find replacement bolts of the correct grade at local hardware stores.
Not true.. you can buy the non shouldered bolts at any proper hardware store. They are 12.9 bolts.

As for the shouldered bolt: You could create that with basic tooling. Buy a hardened M6 nut and turn it down with a lathe or even with a file by mounting the nut in a drill. Afterwards put the nut on the bolt with some high strength locktite or bearing glue.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Not true.. you can buy the non shouldered bolts at any proper hardware store. They are 12.9 bolts.

As for the shouldered bolt: You could create that with basic tooling. Buy a hardened M6 nut and turn it down with a lathe or even with a file by mounting the nut in a drill. Afterwards put the nut on the bolt with some high strength locktite or bearing glue.
That would be tricky to machine as the shoulder measures 5.92 mm and the threads 5.84 mm. Not going to be anything left of that nut.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Well I certainly appreciate the good ideas and creativity, however I have already ordered the two bolts from the links that Ancientdad provided above. But I will keep all of these notes for future use, if/when I build my next 350!

(I have been tossing around the idea of getting into vintage MC roadracing for a while now, and it seems that 350's are certainly one of the most practical, if not also one of the most cost-effective ways to get into that sport. I would keep my current bike for pleasure/road use, and build a dedicated, stripped down race bike for track use if/when I finally get to that point!)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts