Honda Twins banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever used a "point and shoot" IR thermometer on the headers of a CB/CL 350 to balance the carbs ?

·
Premium Member
7,865 Posts
No but I'm doing something similar to tune my VM roundslide carbs. My theory is that the temperature readings will be more useful in tuning pilot jets, and mixture screws etc. (which should show dramatically different readings in temperature) than synchronization which is more dependant on manifold vacume pressure. my guess (and this is only a guess) is that if you did a basic eyeball synch per the manual (make sure the throttle butterflies open at the same time) the temperature differances between headers would be too small and too dependant on other things (variations in cylinder head casting thicknesses, condition of rings, condition of valves, which side of the bike is in the sun/shade) to offer any usable information that could be converted into information that tells you which throttle cable to shorten.

Of course that's just my opinion since I haven't tested. I'd love to hear any results you come up with. sounds interesting. :idea:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts