Honda Twins banner

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  66Sprint 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Re: 69 CB450 from North GA

You might have trouble lining up your sprockets properly with too wide of a wheel. The wheel might end up off center while the sprockets are lined up, or vise versa.. This is just an educated guess on my part after dealing with my own wheel swap on a 450...

GB :mrgreen:

#5 ·

Bird76Mojo said:
You might have trouble lining up your sprockets properly with too wide of a wheel. The wheel might end up off center while the sprockets are lined up, or vise versa.. This is just an educated guess on my part after dealing with my own wheel swap on a 450...

I'm not using the swingarm. I just kinda figured it would be a problem that could possibly be solved with spacers...?

#6 ·

The problem lies in where the engine is mounted, so you have to line up your rear sprocket to the front, like you said with spacers. Whether you're using the swingarm or not. I think you'll find that the 750 rear wheel won't work but I could be wrong. The 750's rear hub is wider than a 450 so it'll push the sprocket out more. It won't line up. If you line it up then the wheel would be off center in the frame. I'm not saying it's impossible but it'll be a pain to get right. You'll likely have to get the 750 hub machined down, or use the 450 wheel.

Steve can back me up on these thoughts I believe. He's the one that helped me out and knows his sh*t...

Also, Henryiva might have some suggestions, as he built one hell of a hardtail 450, and it's on here.. A yellow bike.. Very cool. :cool:

#11 ·

You CAN lace a 16" "Harley rim" to the 450 hub... This maintains your sprocket spacing (alignment) and the chain and swingarm will JUST clear a 120/90 (5.00 x 16) tire... If your hardtail is a smidge wider, you MIGHT clear a 130/ but it will be right at the point of rubbing the chain/tire (with any chain flex at all)............ Spoke/rim "kits" to do this are on ebay from time to time.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.