Honda Twins banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did some trading today for this little scram.

The engine is stuck, but it wasn't stuck a few months ago. I'm guessing the rings are rusted to the bores.

Not sure what I'll do with it just yet, so I'm still eyeballing the wheel setup and the fender and such. The wiring isn't too bad.
It's going to need a clutch and the tank cleaned, along with all the usuals.

·
Registered
66 Posts
pull the plugs & fill the cylinders with trans fluid. put it in gear & rock it back & forth & see if you can free the motor...

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
Thats a gorgeous old bike right there (we need a drool emoticon)....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got it loose thanks to a few squirts of PB Blaster and a healthy dash of cable lube for fun.
I was going to go the ATF route, but it decided to free up as my 120 lb friend stood on the kicker for a few seconds.

I was standing beside the bike when he was standing on it and the spark plug hole gave me a nasty pb blaster/rust money squirt and ruined my shirt.

I checked the compression today on the advice of Scott Olofson at Acme Motorcycles (they have team of CB350 race bikes and Scott races a 750 Indian land speed bike). Both cylinders are holding about 120. Not bad. I figured I was into it for a new set of pistons and rings.

Right now I have sparkage at the points, which I cleaned and regapped but no fire on the plugs. I checked the coils and they seem okay. So, I'm speculating it's what might possibly be an original condenser. Bike only shows 17+k miles.

So, tomorrow I'm going to test the condenser and see if I can get her running.

*I did change the oil after getting her freed up, btw.*

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
leethal said:
Thats a gorgeous old bike right there (we need a drool emoticon)....
Thanks, man. I like the vintage "Bell" sticker on the side cover a bunch. I may leave the ratty paint and get the mechanicals up to snuff.

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
More likely, It's the old resistor plug caps..... They have a gap internally that corrodes.... Try direct plug wire almost touching engine head without the caps to see if you then get fire......

BTW, 120 PSI is below minimum compression, but should at least start/run..... Maybe the rings will "free-up" after a few heating/cooling cycles.......

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi, and thanks for the tips.
I snipped the old plug caps off and installed some new NGK tips. I'll try removing them and doing what you suggested to see what's coming through.

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Well, If you have new caps, just put plugs in them against the head.....If the points are sparking, there is power going through the coil windings....The plugs should spark...
If not, you could have bad high tension wires (replacable on the 305's...)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I metered the coils today and got voltage through the leads to the plug caps.
Condenser tested bad, so I'm ordering one of those.

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Couldn't hurt, but on these ignitions, the condenser is primarily to prevent "welding " (metal transfer) on the points... If you have spark at the plugs it's a different problem...(If no spark, check the ground wire)......It should/can start and run without any condensers..... Something else must be off..... Did you try a "puff" of ether to see if there's a fuel supply problem?...At 120PSI it should at least try to run......(You will need rings/hone/bore/whatever if that doesn't improve)......

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, I tried a bit of ether in both carb throats. I have the intake tubes and filter assemblies off.

I did get one *pop* when I manually opened the points to check for spark.

The coils have been replaced at some point with some that have the HT leads epoxied into them. I'm going to pull them and see what values or part number are on them to see if they're anywhere near the right coils for the bike.

Took more pics today. I'll post them up sometime soon.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thought you all might like to see this:

Acme's CB350 racebike that was raced by Linda Cluxton at Barber last weekend and beside it a Briton Bee moped.
The CB has all the race goodies and Linda loves how it fits.
The Briton is, I believe, a Puch with a 70cc engine and a funky leather belt drive deal.

and the white one built from scratch, I reckon

Ok, now back to the 305...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts