Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bike was running fine when I parked it in the garage 20 years ago. Decided to clean it up and get it running. I put a new clutch cable on it while I was getting it ready to run. Bike starts right up and runs fine. When i changed the oil..........yuk. Barely drained out and it was very thick. I put new oil in. Problem is........it won't go in gear. Shifter has good spring tension on it.
Bike only has 10,000 mile on it, looks like new, and was in very good shape when stored inside a heated dry garage.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Tom

· Registered
1,711 Posts
It's was fine 20 years ago.....

Is the clutch stuck I wonder...

Does the gear lever move up and down ok and return to the centre position by its self via a spring ?

Bike on centre stand, engine off, rotate rear wheel gently ( I assume chain will allow this ) and try to select a gear.....has it gone into gear ?

Hope you cleaned oil filter etc...

Twenty years, stuff sticks.....

Probably a stuck clutch or mechanism......

Ideally strip clean de etch steel plates or replace.......

It was fine twenty years ago ...

Feedback feedback feedback, it's good manners and helps others.

Dd23🤓

· Registered
1,976 Posts
Was the motor running when you tried to put it in gear?. Dogs on the gears wont line up if the shafts arent turning. Dumb question but I have seen owners try to shift gears without turning the shafts by hand or have the motor running.

Bill H

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's was fine 20 years ago.....

Is the clutch stuck I wonder...

Does the gear lever move up and down ok and return to the centre position by its self via a spring ?

Bike on centre stand, engine off, rotate rear wheel gently ( I assume chain will allow this ) and try to select a gear.....has it gone into gear ?

Hope you cleaned oil filter etc...

Twenty years, stuff sticks.....

Probably a stuck clutch or mechanism......

Ideally strip clean de etch steel plates or replace.......

It was fine twenty years ago ...

Feedback feedback feedback, it's good manners and helps others.

Dd23🤓
The lever works as it should and does return to center. I'll try your suggestions in the next day or two. I haven't cleaned any oil filter, not sure it had one. How does one go about that? I appreciate your suggestions and will do updates as I proceed. Thanks

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Was the motor running when you tried to put it in gear?. Dogs on the gears wont line up if the shafts arent turning. Dumb question but I have seen owners try to shift gears without turning the shafts by hand or have the motor running.

Bill H
Thanks for responding. I will try again while the motor is running. I'll update as I go.

· Registered
1,711 Posts
Hi Tom, please could you post some pictures of your bike.

A tubular frame with tubular f/fork, or a pressed frame with Earle's/leading link front forks/suspension ?

Look underneath the engine, can you see a cam like finned plate held on with 6 bolts, having the sump plug and a raised ( lowered as it protrudes downwards ) tube like shape ?

The centrifugal oil filter lives under the circular 3 countersunk screw plate on the left side of the engine close to the front.

I heal and toe gear change pedal ?

Pictures please of the bike to clarify identity.

Feedback...

Dd23🤓

· Registered
1,711 Posts
Warning, a stuck clutch is not going to free off just because you have pulled in the clutch handlebar lever !!

DO NOT start engine and smash it into gear, dentist will be needed.

Hang fire until you have cleaned oil filter but pictures please first.

Hare and tourtoiuse, do not rush this as bike is an old lady needing respect.

Do you have a large mains powered cooling fan ?

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Tom, please could you post some pictures of your bike.

A tubular frame with tubular f/fork, or a pressed frame with Earle's/leading link front forks/suspension ?

Look underneath the engine, can you see a cam like finned plate held on with 6 bolts, having the sump plug and a raised ( lowered as it protrudes downwards ) tube like shape ?

The centrifugal oil filter lives under the circular 3 countersunk screw plate on the left side of the engine close to the front.

I heal and toe gear change pedal ?

Pictures please of the bike to clarify identity.

Feedback...

Dd23🤓
I don't know how to include pictures. It is a 1965 Honda CA77..........known as a Honda 305 Dream

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Warning, a stuck clutch is not going to free off just because you have pulled in the clutch handlebar lever !!

DO NOT start engine and smash it into gear, dentist will be needed.

Hang fire until you have cleaned oil filter but pictures please first.

Hare and tourtoiuse, do not rush this as bike is an old lady needing respect.

Do you have a large mains powered cooling fan ?
Sorry, I don't know how to post a picture. The bike is a Honda CA77 , known as a Honda 305 Dream Thanks for responding

· Registered
3,672 Posts
To free-off the clutch, hold the clutch lever in while you kick the kick start lever,.

· Registered
1,711 Posts
So, new cable fitted, it feels ok when pulled in and returns due to clutch springs action ?

Lever free play exists at the handlebar and is not excessive, IE adjusted normally ?

Gear lever free and returns to centre normally, IE due to spring.

Oil,
Hardly wanted to drain out, a bit like a
Black runny tar...?

Running ok before hibernation 20 years ago.

Oil in 2000's was better than in 1990's and so on...

Visit CMSNL.com.

Find your bike .

View relevant exploded views.

Centrifugal oil filter.....

Oil pump filter screen .

Clutch...

I suspect clutch plates stuck together with etching/corrosion/pitting on the steel clutch plates ..

If clutch frees off due to heat and shock, IE hot engine and transmission snatch, what of the clutch debris and any sludge ?

· Registered
1,711 Posts
If this bike were mine...

Clutch cover and clutch plates out for gentle seperation and accessment.

Centrifugal filter off for really good clean.

Oil pump off for filter screen clean.

Valve covers off so engine internals can be solvent cleaned from top down.

Further cleaning via clutch off access.

Further cleaning via oil pump being off.

· Registered
1,711 Posts
When entirely satisfied internals are cleaned out, check gear selection via input shaft and rear wheel rotation.
Gear selection ok
and clutch accessed as ok, reassemble with new gaskets. If gaskets unavailable, learn how to make your own. Fill oil, prime system with plugs out ign killed.

Clutch In Adjustment. Start engine and select gears...

Alternatively,

run engine till at normal running temperature with some 2t oil added to the fuel, engine cooled by electric fan.

Using the clutch handlebar lever, you may hear the clutch free off, noise change when clutch in and out. You may hear rotating shaft slow down.

Stop engine.

Bike on centre stand with front wheel up against a wall or similar, so bike CANNOT roll off centre stand.

Chain and rear wheel safe to be rotated at speed ?

Start engine and idle . Pull in clutch lever and get assistant to rotate rear wheel as fast as possible safely in correct direction. Drop into gear.

Clutch will not disengage, so blip throttle...

Oil heat, transmission snatch and clutch pulled in will encourage clutch to free in a gentle way.

A higher gear would be better but try first gear first. The clutch will free off eventually, this method works for me, but strip/clean etc. Is ideal method.

This still leaves clutch debris in the oil as well as oil cleaning/sludge lifting action of the oil.....

See exploded views, see what's involved, what parts are available ( valve covers, gaskets, clutch steel and friction plates etc.. ), decide action plan......

It's your bike, your desicion....

Dd23🤓

· Registered
254 Posts
20yrs later... oil looks like it reverted back to crude. Clutch plates need a wash in a mix of dare I say?

Then you shuffle the plates so a new patter is not back all in the same as it came out. 10k on the bike is no parts needed.

Trick is to watch how they came out steel wise. The cut side faces you. Flip the friction plates any ol way. But the steels... no way.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
20yrs later... oil looks like it reverted back to crude. Clutch plates need a wash in a mix of dare I say?

Then you shuffle the plates so a new patter is not back all in the same as it came out. 10k on the bike is no parts needed.

Trick is to watch how they came out steel wise. The cut side faces you. Flip the friction plates any ol way. But the steels... no way.
Thanks for replying. I will try to get the clutch cover off today or tomorrow. Am determined to get it all working like it should. At this point, I feel pretty sure the clutch parts are stuck together. Will update as I proceed. Thanks again, Tom

· Registered
1,711 Posts
It's the wise thing to do I feel.

Good opportunity for flushing out all the potential crap that may be sitting on the "sump" floor.

I would also remove the 6 sided 6 bolt oil pump, to further flush out any crap, and make sure that filter screen is perfectly clean.

DO NOT use any sealer, make or get new gaskets.

With the clutch cover off cleaning the centrifugal oil filter will be easier too.

Get an old saucepan ( buy a new one for your kitchen ) that will accommodate the stuck together clutch plates. Place plates in saucepan, add engine oil to cover and gently heat on camping stove outside. When it starts to smoke, turn off heat.

It would be a good idea to lace some copper wire to make a handle to make plates removal easy.

The action of oil and heat will make plate seperation easier.

Pictures pictures pictures which will help others.

Dd23🤓

1 - 20 of 44 Posts