Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just joined this forum when I started up this project bike, was a relic from a friend of my dad's barn in Iowa. I've had it for several years, been scouring eBay for deals on parts. It was seized up but all there and decent gas tank, fenders and exhaust. I've got the motor all together with new pistons, rings, valves (beware of eBay deals - exhaust valves are incorrect material, really an intake valve that fits). Sandblasting frame, etc. now and rebuilding wheels, planning to do some zinc plating myself on some of the hardware, buying up rubber and shiny objects......

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Got my motor all together, bored out 0.25 mm over, new valves, clutch, etc., painted up with VHT enamel and clearcoat. image.jpg

Cleaned up my wheels and got new spokes laced up, turned drums just enough for surface rust, more clearcoat on polished hubs.
image.jpg
image.jpg
Tried out my powdercoating setup, works pretty well!

·
Premium Member
2,074 Posts
Nice looking wheels! Great job.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Very nice work. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I started working up the frame for powdercoating, notice the swing arms have these rubber bushings for the shock mounts, don't think they will survive the high cure temps of powder process so I made these tools on my lathe to press them out. You can still find some of these bushings available, but not sure why they cost $34 each! Once I'm done with this tool I'd be happy to loan it out to anyone who needs it, done its job for me. Studied up on zinc plating and bought decent anode and some chemicals, yellow chromate from Caswell, will let you know how it goes.
View attachment 279850
image.jpg

·
Registered
725 Posts
$34 for that little bushing, isn't that ridiculous. But if your doing a nut and bolt restoration I guess they have got you. Is a bushing something that could be made on a lathe reasonably easily or would you eat up more than $35 worth of time (doing it for yourself not a retail customer)?

I and I'm sure others would be very interested, if you get some time, to see a post on your powder coating and plating set ups.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, the bushing has a rubber isolation core, which is probably overkill on the design for the mechanics of the joint, could probably just machine a solid metal bushing and never know the difference. Mine aren't bad, a little surface rust, which is why I want to preserve and reuse them. I will certainly post plating and powder coat stuff with good info - as a process engineer I like detailed descriptions!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts