Honda Twins banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can only find a 1/4 size fuel line quick disconnect and would like a 3/16. Anyone find one of these? It would make tank removal a breeze!

I searched threads with out success.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bump, sorry. Draining the tank for access is just plain frustrating.

·
Premium Member
7,864 Posts
I don't recall all the sizes they carry but I bought my quick connect from Motion Pro. don't recall the size but I measured it at the time and it was a dead match for my stock CB350 tank.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can do two things. I have 3/16 line balancing the tank now. I can order the 1/4 double disconnect and jam the 3/16 line on, probably would not need a clamp or use 1/4 line and just clamp them down tight on the tank. I just replaced the line and it had 1/4 on there and it was too lose IMO on the tank outlets.

Opinions? I checked Motion pro and not 3/16 quick disconnect.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I think someone mentioned before that simply running the fuel line over the frame is an option. I've yet to try this myself.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Running the line over seems too easy.I think if the line is higher than the lowest gas it would not work. The tank sits lower than than the main frame spine. I will just buy the $ 40 disconnect.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Yes you can run the line over the center tube, but then you won't get that fuel from the other side over so your effectively just plugging it.

what about McMaster? less than $15,

looks like these would work, made of acetal which is the same as delrin plastic I believe and is gasoline resistant:

2 parts, both with shut-offs, range of them so could find for 1/4" tube or whatever for other bikes.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#about-quick-di ... gs/=9ncxhl

for 3/16" ID hose part 5012K252
$6.54

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/116/183/=9nd0kw

for 3/16" ID hose and part 5012K192
$6.94

and get some little spring hose clamps from your local shop if you dont have then already.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did not see those Mcmaster's were safe with gas but are safe with ethanol so I am sure they are ok. I bought a chrome one from ebay for $42 versus the $33 one from Motion pro. The metal one has a button to push to make it easy to operate with one hand under the tank adn it looks cool! It is 1/4 inch but will work fine with 3/16 I hope just a snug fit.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chro...otorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_500wt_956

·
Registered
636 Posts
yeah, that metal one looks nice, the only thing i dont like about the motionpro or the mcmaster ones is that they are white plastic... but $40, ouch.

that brand for your ebay one, "Colder", has a huge variety of these things. Not sure who to buy them through or cost though...

http://www.colder.com/Tabid/72/PartFind ... ducts.aspx

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
$40 stunk but I have a feeling I will using it a lot over the winter and the white plastic looks like a medical device.

I like the signature, stock except for what is missing. I would add what is broken or leaking....

·
Registered
636 Posts
my thinking too on the white plastic, and I also don't like to put anything plastic on these old bikes, I like to keep it all metal or fiberglass would be fine, have to learn how to do that someday.

right now my signature would be something more like "1971 CB450 - but only if you gather all the parts from all over the garage and put them all together, or, at least, in a pile." :)

hoping to fix that in the next couple weeks.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got the quick disconnect in and it is very sweet and worth the $40! Nice positive latch and quick disconnect with one hand at the press of a button.

If you search under Harley tank balance disconnect you can see them.

·
Registered
86 Posts
1971 CB450 said:
Running the line over seems too easy.I think if the line is higher than the lowest gas it would not work. The tank sits lower than than the main frame spine. I will just buy the $ 40 disconnect.
If you prime it before putting the tank back on the frame, it should work just like a Georgia credit card.

·
Registered
636 Posts
donny662, you are absolutely correct, although I must say I had to look up "georgian credit card". (= siphon).

had a bit of a debate with the guys at work, and we are all engineers, some thought that the ends of the tube had to be at different heights, but in actuality it is just the levels of fluid that have to be different.

of course getting the air out of the tube is the big thing for it to work, this would be easy, just fill the tank and then lift the back of the tank enough to flip the loop of the tube down to below the elbows, this should let all the air out, flip it back up, tank down. good to go.

over morning coffee at work today, did an experiment with two paper cups, coffee in one, water in the other, (coffee is the isolated side of the tank, water is the petcock side of the tank) primed tube over the cup rims to the bottom of each cup. punched a hole in the bottom of the water cup. It drained and sucked the coffee over the top of the cup into the water cup, keeping the levels roughly equal, though not exact, the coffee side does stay a little bit higher than the petcock side, but not by much.

I will test this theory once my bike is back together and see if any other real world riding conditions (sloshing fuel, etc) cause this to not work or for air to get in the line at some point prior to tank empty and cause it to stop working. I fear that perhaps hard braking once the fuel level starts to get lower would starve the rear of the tank and tube and let air into it....

very interesting.

the dual shutoff is still cool though and negates the shenanigans of priming the crossover tube when you fill up.

·
Registered
636 Posts
don't worry, they don't actually know anything, and I know only a marginal bit about these hondas so far, we are all the guys who couldn't get jobs at proper companies. :) you guys who have been wrenching on these things for years are way ahead of any engineers.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
delineator said:
don't worry, they don't actually know anything, and I know only a marginal bit about these hondas so far, we are all the guys who couldn't get jobs at proper companies. :) you guys who have been wrenching on these things for years are way ahead of any engineers.

Some smart dudes here. I like shiny parts...pretty! Shiny is good.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Hello, I have a '68 CB450 and am removing the tank. Reading through the thread I can't determine which part you purchased. Can you provide a link ? Did you end up using 1/4 ID hose on the gas tank and then cranking down on them with a clamp ? Or did you have to stay with 3/16" ID hose ? Thanks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts