Honda Twins banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Vintage Motorcyclist Enthusiasts pre 1975 ride is coming up. The club news letter says it is scheduled for July 7. The ride will depart Southworth Ferry (Vashon Is) at 10:00 AM. My 450 will be there. I didn't make it last year, but 2017 was a hoot. Hope to see some of my HondaTwins friends.
Vintage Motorcycle Enthusiasts

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Reminder

VME Pre-75 ride Sunday July 7. Arrive 9:30 Southworth Ferry Parking lot. Kickstands up 1t 10:00. Be there and show the Triumph/ BSA guys why Honda put them out of business!

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hope to see you there. The rule is 1975 or older. They are not that strict about it. My friend brought his 04 SV650 and was welcomed by the club. I went two years ago and it was a great ride.They change the route and I'm looking forward to seeing what we do this year.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Reminder

Sunday July 7 is the VME Pre-1975 ride. I'm planning to be there. Kickstands up at 10:00. From the Seattle side there is a 8:20 and 9:25 ferry leaving Fauntleroy. Sailing time is 40 minutes. It doesn't look like the 9:25 boat will make it. I will be on the 8:20 boat. Hope to see as many as possible.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bumping this up, tomorrow is the day! Today the 450 will get the chain adjusted and oiled. See you there.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Awesome day for the ride today and it didn't even sprinkle until I was almost home.
Met up with Frank (Scramblr) and Jim (JamesPal) there. Unfortunately Frank's bike broke down because of the common motors EI.
I somehow lost the bolt that holds the tach cable to the tach drive somewhere along the ride.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Glad I could join the group for the ride. I met a lot of nice people at the event and took some pictures that will follow. Even the British bike acolytes were friendly to us Honda riders. Weather was cool but thankfully dry for the ride.
My scrambler performed well on the way to the meeting place, keeping above 60 mph for over an hour, but soon into the event ride it began to exhibit serious issues. I had to break out of the pack to pull over to investigate a loss of power and backfiring. One rider stopped to check on me, and guessed fuel delivery as the cause. He moved on while I discovered the fairly new Common Motors electronic ignition had shifted its sensors and retarded the timing. I had checked and tightened them only hours earlier. Thankfully I had a full set of tools in my kit bag and got it running again. I skipped the planned route and rode to the destination, with one breakdown on the freeway. At the destination I found the EI sensors had melted and come loose again. We went in for a lengthy lunch at the Gig Harbor Tides Tavern to trade stories. The Triumph and Norton guys talked about their bikes' weak electrical systems.
Not to worry about me, I cobbled the EI back together in the Tides' parking lot and rode away to a friend's house, then towed the bike home. Good fun. I would do it all again for the Vashon tour in September.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Isle of Vashon TT 2019 - Report

I went over to Vashon Island this morning. It was the 2019 VME Isle of Vashon TT. Despite being between a couple of bad weather systems, the turn out was pretty good. Riding over on the ferry, There was an encouraging rainbow touching the island:

20190908_081446.jpg

Here are the bikes on the ferry going over. That is my '85 GL in the first pic:

Bike on Ferry 1.jpg Bike on Ferry 2.jpg

Despite the weather there was a pretty good Turnout. That is how you roll in Western Washington. Some of the bikes at Vashon Village:

IMG_1233.jpg IMG_1234.jpg IMG_1235.jpg

Here is one of my favorites. A 1958 Triumph T110. It was professionally restored using only new old stock parts. It looks so new that it had never been ridden in the rain, until today:

IMG_1240.jpg

Here are a couple of choice Honda Twins:

IMG_1242.jpg IMG_1243.jpg

And other bikes of interest:

IMG_1238.jpg IMG_1244.jpg IMG_1241.jpg

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Jim, nice pictures of a pretty good group of bikes that turned out despite the weather, thanks for sharing them. That restored Triumph is sweet, and boy would I would love to have that red CL450K1. And here's a pop quiz for all you kids out there who love going fenderless... take a guess why this guy zip-tied a shop rag to his forks right above the front tire...

fenderless.jpg

1 - 17 of 17 Posts