Honda Twins banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So changing the sprockets on the cb350 for the first time.
I ordered front and rear from my Honda dealer but he only sent me one.
can I buy the other from another supplier or do they need to match?
something about thickness maybe.
Stock is 36teeth and also wondering if I should go to 34?
I understand the jist of it but not really sure of all the Benefits.
many thanks folks!

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Smaller on the rear will make a higher ratio - more "calculated" top speed, less acceleration - and you could do that to lower the cruising revs a bit for vibration purposes. Depends on what you're going for when you make a change... is it lower revs at speed, or is it faster getaway? Most Hondas are geared from the factory to rarely pull redline (or even power peak revs) in high gear. Oh, and you can buy the sprocket from anyone, doesn't have to be a matched set as long as it's the proper chain size (530 in your case)

·
Premium Member
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the great info Tom!
I think I will stick with 36.
I already have no acceleration, lol

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
:D yeah, that's the conundrum with wanting lower revs at cruising speed on a lower horsepower engine... you get something and you give something, and the smaller the engine the less you get and the more you give. It's not much better with the 450, you end up downshifting more often unless it's all level ground you ride on

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
The thing to keep in mind, Mike, it that if you increase the gear ratio on the final drive, the engine may not be able to produce the necessary horsepower to pull. These are high revving engines that develop their power band in the upper half of the rpm range. (lower revs, lower horsepower, lower speed potential)

·
Premium Member
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I have found sprockets with 38T, 36T, 35T and 34 T.
Anyone know what is stock on the 1970 cb350.
I could check mini, but it is at my friends and he is away.

·
Premium Member
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah, I found it on the CMC site.
36 tooth
Thanks

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
I'm assuming your new front sprocket has 16 teeth. That has a bearing on which rear sprocket you want. The stock setup is 16/36.

·
Premium Member
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, 16T for the front.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I asked for 36 teeth and received 35 teeth. Do you think it will make t
THAT much of a difference. Not even sure it will fit my bike. In my searches, I never saw a 35t. Only 36 & 34
image.jpg

Attachments

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
It came with the studs, nuts and lock tabs already in it? Nice! No, I don't think it will make enough difference for you to even notice. That was from CMC? Wow, I'm impressed

·
Premium Member
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It came with the studs, nuts and lock tabs already in it? Nice! No, I don't think it will make enough difference for you to even notice. That was from CMC? Wow, I'm impressed
Yeah, I know! Never seen that before. may be OEM.
Price was very goos as I found it from a small guy in Toronto, so no exchange rate for me!
Thanks Dad. You are a valuable resource to these boards . So many others as well but you
seem to be a pleasent guy!
Cheers and have a great weekend.
Nothing like getting parts on a Friday!
Like a kid in a candy shop:p

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Hope it fits. I have an OEM rear sprocket, and the lightening holes are spaced differently. That said, most aftermarket sprockets I've seen have slots instead of holes.

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Yeah, I know! Never seen that before. may be OEM.
Price was very goos as I found it from a small guy in Toronto, so no exchange rate for me!
Ah, so it didn't come from Common Motor... and yes, it does look like OEM but at this point, who knows for sure?

That said, most aftermarket sprockets I've seen have slots instead of holes.
or none at all... that's a sure sign of aftermarket

1 - 14 of 14 Posts