Honda Twins banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, 2 questions for ya:
1. I bead blasted the spare CB360 carbs a while ago and since then I have cleaned them off in a bath, a dishwasher, and carb cleaner (all rubber internals removed :cool: ). I began to put everything back together after a few days, but I noticed this white-ish buildup. It wipes away to the touch, but getting all of it is a PITA. Is this something that I should be worried about if I decide to use these carbs on my bike?

Pic related:

2. I made a diagram of where the primary, slow, and secondary air jets go...and as luck may have it, I can't find it! The service manual does not indicate where they go. Any help?

·
Registered
703 Posts
The long needle thingy goes in the middle hole (by middle i mean middle of the bowl in the group of 3). The plug to the one beside it and the bigger jet goes in the one that has a brass thing in the hole.

Not technical but works.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry I mean to ask about the air jets (#50, #150, #85) that go on the top part of the carb. The picture refers to Question #1

·
Registered
703 Posts
The 85 goes in the hole all by itself. The other 2 I think the 150 is in front. Not 100%

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
Dirtbag is correct about the air jets. As far as the chalky substance on the carb bodies...thats typical of caustic cleaning agents when used on alloy. When you put em in the dishwasher I hope you didnt use dishwasher powder/tablets?

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
That "whiteish" stuff is corroding aluminum... Somewhat akin to steel rusting, although not exactly the same.... Until you remove or neutralize ALL of the chemicals causing this, it will continue (including inside the passages where you can't see or get to)....Likely causing permanent damage.....

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BAH! I know I didn't put in any tablets/powder in the dishwasher when I did it, oh well... I wanna say that this buildup was there before I put em in the dishwashwer (minus cleaning agent)

Anyway, yes Dirtbag, those jet placements look right. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so would y'all suggest sticking with the cb450 carbs then?

·
Registered
703 Posts
Once the aluminum oxidizes it should prevent further degradation. Aluminum oxide is pretty tough stuff. Just put the carbs back together.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
I'd shoot em down with some good spray carb cleaner before installing the jets. Get rid of all of that white oxidation/residue..

GB :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok I will try to get off as much as I can. I am dropping off my engine for a top end rebuild this weekend. If the oxidation creeps back in by the time the engine is rebuilt, should I ditch these carbs and stick with the CB450 ones? Will the oxidation start to wear away at my engine?

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
The white powdery oxidation will stop internally once you get fuel flowing through them. The exterior may need more attention at a later date though.. Neverdull or similar might be handy??

GB :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok cool. Surprisingly the exterior is spotless!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts