Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear technicians,

recently I bought myself another CM 400T build in 1980.
I already own a CM 400T build in 1984.
So I thought they would be twin-brothers, but they are not!
Both engines have the code NCO1E or is it NCOIE stamped into the engine-case, I thought that should make them identical????

the 1984-built has a simple round pipe connecting the 2 exhausts and it has in front of the engine a thin oil-pipe to bring oil to the rockers.

the 1980-built has a thick, fat, bulky box connecting the 2 exhausts and it has in front of the engine no oil-pipe at all !! So I suspect this engine brings the oil internally to the camshaft and the rockers??

The difference in exhaust-pipes is explainable (I guess), but the difference in yes/no oil-pipe confuses me!

Can somebody help me out ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Look at the left rear of the cylinder. 400's say 395cc and 450's say 447cc. 450's have the external cam/rocker oiling pipe. 400's use the rear outer 2 head bolt passages to oil the head

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Kevin for your clear explanation! I only wonder how its possible that 2 different engines can have the same engine-code ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Running research thru CMSNL it does appear that Europe continued to see the 400 engine in the CB models, no CM's listed by them. They only show the 1982 and 1984 model years.
Starting in '82 the engine received the modified oiling system that the 450's had. They also got the 6 speed but for some odd reason Honda didn't give them the oil cooler.
Why the 2 engines read NC01 I don't know, the A model uses NC03 and I can't imaging Honda used up the other 7.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank You, Kevin!

should I conclude that the after 82 models were equiped with a better oiling system? And does that mean that the pre-82 engines were likely to get poor-oiled camshafts and rockers?
should I stay away from the pre-82 models ?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Look at the left rear of the cylinder. 400's say 395cc and 450's say 447cc. 450's have the external cam/rocker oiling pipe. 400's use the rear outer 2 head bolt passages to oil the head
Both of them say : 395cc

So this oilpipe in front between the 2 cilinders remain remarkable!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts