Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I’ve been slowly moving the bike (boxes of parts) I recently purchased I the basement shop. I finally cleared the bench and got the engine where I could go over it. She’s a 1974 build ‘75 CB360T with 4824.5 miles showing on the odo, but I didn’t assume that was correct.

I fully intended to tear the engine all the way down and refurbish or replace anything in need, but as I get into it, by all appearances, the the mileage is correct. I really wasn’t expecting that given what I paid, but hey, I’ll take it - but that leaves me wondering what to do next. Should I really pull apart a virtually new engine, if that really what I’m looking at here?

My questions are:
1. What all should I do to verify the true condition of the engine?
2. How do you guys refinish the outside of the engine if you don’t tear it down? I had intended to have the head, cases, covers, etc, vapor blasted. Not sure if that can be done on a complete engine.
3. What parts would you replace just because (can you replace seals without disassembling the engine, what about the tensioner - which looks perfect, etc?) or would you tear it down anyway?

The only potential issue I’ve seen so far is a spot on one of the rocker arms, but it’s corresponding cam lobe looks fine.

Here are some images:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
On my 400 I blasted the engine with walnut shells. Others use glass beads. In any case you need to be meticulous about sealing any points where media could get inside the engine. Paint with Duplicolor DE1615 aluminum engine paint.

Personally, after blasting, I would remove the side covers, valve cover, oil pan, etc and paint them separately. I don't care for the looks when all the screws and bolts are painted with the engine, BTJM.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, but I’m actually interested in having it vapor blasted specifically because of the look that results - and no paint required. I do plan to pull the side covers and a few other bits afterwards and polish them.

What I don’t know is if vapor blasting can be done on an intact engine, or if it must be broken down, given that water is the carrier rather than air.

If it turns out that it must be torn down just to get it vapor blasted, and if I find no other reason to take it apart except to have it blasted, then I may back off of that position and do as you’re suggesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,550 Posts
I'd put that thing back together and run it. Could paint all the main parts of the engine and polish the side covers and anything else that comes off easily. The Duplicolor engine enamel makes them look like they just came out of the factory and is high temp paint so it does not fall off or melt when it gets hot. Actually cures once the engine gets hot and becomes rock hard. Here's a rather crappy pic of my 450 but you get the idea. Vapor blasted parts will still need some kind of finish on them to keep them from dulling or corroding, they look great for a while but they will not last.

Zoyaxy.jpg

Aside from replacement parts, you have the updated tensioner blade looks like, should be ok to run as long as you keep after the tension properly. I would check the sludge trap to make sure they did bother to clean it at least once in the 4k miles. Its kind of a bear on this because you have to pull the right side engine cover and most people just dumped the oil and ran them. That will give you a better idea of how well it was cared for since maintenance says that should get cleaned every oil change.

Attachments

·
Registered
866 Posts
I took my CL350 down to the pistons so I could replace the gaskets and measure the pistons and walls and put new rings on. Not hard to do if you have the tools. I tooks the measuring rings and glazing over to a shop for 40 bucks, did the rest myself. Replace all the seals. I ride mine all the time, it gets dirty I didn't spend any money cleaning the outside other than me spending a few hours cleaning.

·
Registered
624 Posts
+1 on the Dupli-Color engine enamel, BUT- top coat the silver with their clear engine enamel. It'll take some of the screaming brightness off of the silver, and give you a perfect replication of the factory silver paint (which looks a lot like silver anodize).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts