Honda Twins banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I performed my 1st ever lace up on the front wheel of my CB350K4 project. Probably not the best course of action but I bought these spokes 2nd hand from someone who bought them for a project that didn't happen, but to be fair he has restored over 100 vintage Honda's so I figured it was a safe bet.

Anyway, some of the spokes seem very long and after installation the end that screws into the nipple extend as much as 1/4" past the nipple and would pierce the tube if installed as such.

Do I just Dremel off the excess after truing? Do I need to buy some shorter spokes for those that are too long?

We are talking about 3 or 4 out of the 36.

Thanks in advance.

GHEN IMG_20170813_120817.jpg

·
Super Moderator
5,926 Posts
Have you trued the wheel yet? If the rim is off center from the hub center, you may have issues. Also, is the rim round. Tight spokes would make it out of round. Also, is runout good? Too tight spokes can cause excessive runout.

Don't cut anything until you are sure you have the lace up right, right spokes in right pkaces, runout and true correct. If everything is otherwise right, then trim the spoke. .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Did you mix up some inner and outer spokes?
TOOLS
I don't believe so. The inner spokes have a slightly less then 90 degree bend, and the outers are 90. Nothing had to be bent into place so I am pretty sure I got that part correct.

I am sure there is something else I have screwed up though ��

Thanks,

GHEN

·
Registered
288 Posts
Seems like if it were off center that much that there would be more spokes that were long, and short. 4 out of 36 spokes, I'm thinking someone has mixed up your bag of spokes. Are the long ones the same length as all the other spoke of the same type?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Seems like if it were off center that much that there would be more spokes that were long, and short. 4 out of 36 spokes, I'm thinking someone has mixed up your bag of spokes. Are the long ones the same length as all the other spoke of the same type?
The spokes came in two separate bags. One bag had the inner spokes (slightly less than 90 degrees) and the other had outer spokes (90-degree bend). As I was going through the "inner" bag I had about 1/2 of them that were noticeably longer than the others. I assumed that if the spokes were not all the same length then the shorter spokes belonged up front (thinner rim up front and the front hub is a larger diameter). There was still some minor variation in spoke length among the "shorter spokes".

Tonight I can take some better pictures to show what I am looking at.

Some questions:

1) On the CB350K4, are all spokes (front and rear) the same length?
2) When you lace up is there a correct method for tightening the spokes? I realize that the hub should be in before truing, but for getting the spokes tight do you just go finger tight all around and then use the spoke wrench to get everything tightened up? I used the "ping" method but again I have these long spokes so I am either A) missing something, or B) The spoke set I have is slightly meesed up (I have some other evidence that this may be the case but the details aren't important for this conversation".

Obviously, I won't be grinding any spokes until everything is tried.

Thanks everyone for the advice & assistance thus far.

BTW if anyone is in Columbus and wants to act as a mentor on this build I am open to a conversation!

GHEN

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
The outer spokes are longer then the inner spokes. That is why I asked if some had gotten switched.
TOOLS

·
Registered
26 Posts
Did you happen to check if any were shorter than the others? If you checked them before you installed them and found some were noticeably longer then they were either hand made or mixed in from a 19" wheeled CL350 (158mm compared to a CB @ 154mm). If you continue to true this wheel and find you still have spokes sticking out a 1/4" (6mm) and you just cut them off you will have only about half the normal threads holding the nipple in place.

·
Registered
830 Posts
The spokes with the small bend are virtually the same length front an rear.

The spokes with the 90 degree large bend are 5mm difference in length, laid out on a piece of graph paper I get 158 for the front and 163 for the rear tip to tip.

The inner and outer spokes for the rear are virtually the same length tip to tip.

·
Premium Member
3,002 Posts
Where did you get the spokes from?

Have you contacted the vendor?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts