Honda Twins banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I recently bought a 1996 CB250... in parts. I'm currently getting it back together to see if and what parts I'm missing and if it's worthwhile to continue the build with.

Before I make any investments in bits and pieces, wanting to see if the engine runs, electrics work etc. I've got the engine back in the frame and basic electrics working.
However missing the ignition switch, and can't work out the/all connections, as I can't find the correct wire diagram for the bike.

Hope someone can help me here with:
  • A 1996 CB 250 wire diagram (VIN ...MC26...)
  • Describing the ignition barrel positions and switch positions. I know it's this part : https://www.partzilla.com/product/honda/35100-KBG-007?ref=233e72e5fe96c6b2e1a2c6d69aa166a03a8c2e30 and it has 2 connectors (a 2 pole and a 3 pole connector) + the positive 12v input wire.
  • The two wire connector has a black and a black white wire, the three wire connector has a black-white and two black-red wires. (aka that need to be the same in the wiring diagram if someone has one?)

Before you mention - yes, I know, buying a bike in parts... :eek: - but I paid nearly nothing for it - so worth a shot & lot's of fun..

Thanks all,
Yuri

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
I'm not familiar with the CB250, two ignition coils or one double-ended coil? How many leads are there in the alternator connector plug? CDI or battery-powered ignition? The CDI ignition is turned off by grounding a wire via the main switch, if you unplug the switch connectors and crank the engine it should make sparks. A battery powered, points or electronic, ignition would require supplying 12 volts to the coil(s) to make sparks.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
I'm not sure if the TWO-FIFTY used the same diagram as the CB250 Nighthawks we got in the States, MC24.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Both,

it’s a MC26, so likely some differences. Have found few diagrams all saying for the CB250 of 96, but all have different colour coding.

the good thing though, and after a bit of wire tracing, the diagram is actually pretty correct. Especially around the CDI module.
I think the extra connector, with the two black-red wires and the Black-white connector is to ground the CDI (aka turn engine of with the ignition key in off position)

with that- I don’t need to do anything now to test /fix that. I can run the engine and use the other engine off switch to switch off engine.

I’ll have a play tomorrow, picked up oil and a battery today - so just need to tidy some things up and then can test.
Cheers,
Yuri

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Good luck Yuri!

No worries about buying a bike in parts. In the States it's called a 'basket case' when all parts come in boxes, bins, bags and even baskets. I've got two with papers now, 93 CB250 (MC24) and 78 CB750K8.

The hard part for me is avoiding side projects and just putting the bikes back together.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thx Alan!

looked up 2fiftycc & will use that as well.
After a (long?) day of troubleshooting… I got the bike running 💪

the fix was simple; where normally the ignition switch goes, there is the kill switch wire. I knew about that. But there also two red-white wires. Didn’t know they had to be connected. Once I did that, the bike fired up like it was waiting for it.
In mean time I did check every bit of wire, the rectifiers the CDI etc etc 🤣

anyway - great progress. Time to start planning on how the build will look and then find a tank & decide on the wheels. Then seat & blend it all in. Sounds so simple haha.
Thx!

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
I'm actually building mine with the opposite order. It spent 4 years on the table in my former basement shop, I spent lots of time staring at it and figuring out how I wanted it.
Now that I've moved its time to start making it a reality. I've been ordering up a few more parts to modify to fit and I'm having fun with it. Temps outside are still good enough to work in for the few hours a week I'm able to.

And the big difference in our styles is that I'm not starting with a running engine. I do have 2 parts bikes and I'm putting together all of the best electrical parts and hoping for the best.
I tore apart all 3 carbs and cleaned them 2 years ago, I'll probably still find missing parts when I put them back together, I'm hoping to have enough parts for two carbs so it's easier to play with jetting.

You should start a thread in the Projects section. Good luck, can't wait to see where you take it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts