Honda Twins banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm picking up a 450s with 29k kilometres on the clock. Supposedly it was well serviced. It's been standing for 2 years, carbs and tank were drained. Apart from putting new filter and fresh oil in the engine would you think I would need to remove the carbs for cleaning, or just put a little fuel in and start the thing?
If I remove the carbs, should I renew the needles and jets at the same time bearing in mind the distance it's covered? Recommendations for good replacement parts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Welcome. There is a thread here regarding a checklist for any used bike purchase. If memory serves it is based on the SOHC 400 series bikes. Someone will be along with the link soon.

·
Registered
785 Posts
2 years is long enough for stuff to be "stuck", like VALVES and clutches and brakes. If a valve is stuck ( open usually ) and contacts a rising piston ( or an opening valve making contact with it ) , be prepared for major expense with a bent valve and broken guide, mangled pistons and other bent valves.

Always rotate engine by hand initially with plugs out so valves can be seen ( not always the case being visible ) , or have cam cover etc off ( again not always possible to safely rotate the engine with a cam cover off ) so you can see valves open and close. A stuck valve will result in a "clunk" and a "solid point or position" preventing further crank rotation, when crank turned by hand gently. If you come up against a clunk or solid point, find out why....

Lube engine internals as best as possible, but lube them.

Study cmsnl exploded views for your bike and get a manual.

Most bike engine valves are inclined.

BE WARNED VALVES CAN STICK OPEN ! SO check!!

Always give the engine a gently awakening, some 2t oil added to the petrol and let it idle for a litre of petrol but use fans for engine cooling. No REVS until the engine is well freed and run for a while. Check charging system as soon as engine is running.

Stuck clutch, with a running engine, allow it to reach normal running temp. Place on centre stand so bike cannot "fall off". Stop engine, select a high gear and start engine. Blip throttle with clutch held in ( lever to handle bars ) and after a time the clutch will free. The rear wheel needs to be abke to rotate all well and the bike has to be safe on its centre stand. The engine must be able to be blipped on the throttle.

DO NOT just grab a handfull of throttle and smash it into gear !!

The clucth will have to be stripped and cleaned as any corrosion on the steel plates will end up in the engine oil.

Clutch cover off is the ideal time to flush out the sump floor and any oil troughs etc of sludge and crap. The clutch basket fingers tend to act like a centrifugal crap trap, so clean them as well. Also, model dependent, a good time to adjust any balance chains etc. etc. etc.

Do your research prior to buying the bike, and do your research before you attempt to start it.

Take your time and enjoy. ( and lube everything in sight except the brake discs/drums and pads/shoes.)

Some may think all this is "over the top", but, are they prepared to pay for repairs after an "inconsiderate" and "hasty" engine start up i wonder?

Carbs may well flood as soon as fuel is added, so yes, clean them as well as the tank and filler cap.

Is the bike a dohc or sohc?? and you live on an island in the Med?

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Got any pics of it to share?

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Being just 6 hours ahead of the Eastern US timezone you're sure to get plenty of replies in your afternoon and evening hours.

Here are a few videos of bikes like yours, we didn't get this model in the states but the engine is familiar.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Daydreamer, 450s is a DOHC, based on the 400 I believe. Bike is coming over from Austria! However, I'm in no rush with this as I have too much on at the moment anyway. Yep Mallorca lovely island for this size of bike. I have larger bikes but age is catching up with me so once this is fettled it will be my runabout.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's exactly the same model as in Alan Fs video the silver 450s, I hope it sounds the same when Iv'e finished.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alan, Thanks for the video, the one I'm buying is exactly the same silver colour, I hope it sounds the same when finished!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Great pieces of advice to follow. Add a thorough inspection of the brake system. Have a C clamp handy. Check the calipers, brake lines, can't remember if this is a rear drum or not? Maybe take the calipers apart, not a hard job, the clean the pistons, check the seals, change the brake fluid.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts