Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
1985 Nighthawk 450 - was for sale - Fixing instead, front end crash

We bought this Nighthawk 450 in October for my wife. I rode it a couple of times and was involved in a crash. We'd fix it for her but her desire to ride has flagged.

The bike runs great, doesn't leak, but will need to be repaired to get it back on the road. It is titled, cleanly, and tagged through Nov 2018.

New seat cover, new final drive sprockets and chain. EDIT: The seat was shaved a little on the foam, new cover should settle in over a few rides. That's why the bumps in the front. Didn't bother me, but I didn't know we were going to sell it.

At minimum it would need:
New forks
New fork ears (someone better than me may be able to salvage them)
Left turn signals front and rear
Left foot peg
Headlamp & probably bucket (again, a better machinist may be able to salvage)
Straighten the instrument bracket or replace
Speedo
Clutch lever
Might want a new front fender or bang out the dent

Frame isn't bent, bars aren't bent. Triples are good. Front wheel is good. As I said, title is clean. $450.00 - $1.00 a CC. Willing to listen to offers.

I'll leave this out for number of days and if no one is interested I'll start collecting parts to fix it and sell it.

Mods - if I'm breaking the rules here by listing an unrideable, though complete, bike - just let me know.

We're in Seal Beach, CA - PM me for more pics if you're interested in all the gory details :D This pic is as she sits now.

Gene

Wanda-2.jpg

·
Registered
342 Posts
You might do well to part that bike out????

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know. And I may. But I don't have the garage space to store the left-overs and it would break my heart cuz it still goes. Thanks for the advice tho. Anyone want pieces of this? Let me know, I may consider it.

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
Gene,
That's a project I would jump-on right now if I was able., Great looking Nighthawk with just a few repair issues,no problem ;)
I'm also a member over on sohc4.net and remember when you got that CB750 from member 'Johnie' up in WI.:nice bike,I also like your matching color CB550. ;) :cool:

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
I'm reasonably close by, in LA, and have parts needed to fix this.
Yesterday I had some friends over with their 18 month old. We were in the backyard and the woman counted the bikes and asked, so what do you plan to do with 10 motorcycles? I looked around for my wife, who was nowhere in sight, then said, get more.
Truth be told that's the last thing on my list.
So, I can sell you the parts to fix this so you can sell it, or id buy it, fix it and sell/flip it.

Edit: hope nobody was injured in the crash.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm reasonably close by, in LA, and have parts needed to fix this.
Yesterday I had some friends over with their 18 month old. We were in the backyard and the woman counted the bikes and asked, so what do you plan to do with 10 motorcycles? I looked around for my wife, who was nowhere in sight, then said, get more.
Truth be told that's the last thing on my list.
So, I can sell you the parts to fix this so you can sell it, or id buy it, fix it and sell/flip it.

Edit: hope nobody was injured in the crash.
Doode, I have no problem with you fixing and flipping if you want it. If you don't want it I'll buy the parts from you. This is the best of all possible worlds. I was a little beat up in the crash but I'm healing fine for an old man.

I'll PM you later today and we can chat.

Bil - yeah, I'm a sucker for Orange bikes:D I can't help but think if this one was Orange or Suzuki-yellow the fella that cut in front of me may have seen it!

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Doode can come through with some stuff for this fix, thank you Doode. I'll leave this up for a bit if anyone's interested in buying it as is. If not, I'll fix it and sell it in a state where someone can ride it home.

·
Registered
459 Posts
If there is anything you need that doode doesn't have, I might. I just removed the entire front of my 82 nighthawk 450 and don't intend to use it.

Glad you're healing up!

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Putting parts together to put it back together. Feel free to remove this thread. I'll rename.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Moved to the Project Logs.
Click "Edit Post" on the 1st post, then "Go Advanced" to edit the title.
I think I did it right, but then, Thought I did it right before. "Edit title" and I did, but it seems like it only applied to the first post (mine). We'll get it sorted. Thank you for moving the log.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SO! Got my first box of stuff from Hamhock today. Can't thank you enough, seriously. Visiting Doode tomorrow for some more stuff. If I were a better planner I would have ordered all the ancillary parts - lenses, etc. - and had this back on the road Sunday. But, that wasn't the initial plan.

I'll post up some pics of the damaged parts/areas later and log pics and descriptions as I replace 'em as a lesson that these are simple machines, and a minor crash doesn't mean the bike goes to the junkyard.

I do love this forum. Thank you all for being a part of it.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Started looking hard at pieces needed today, pulling off trashed pieces, bending sh*t into a reasonable angle. Things look good. Got forks, just need to slap the previous caps on 'em. Drain, refill oil.

The rest of the body looks ok - I can save the left fork ears/headlight holder with some bending (done) and some JB Weld. Not like it's a supporting wall or anything. Put on the left peg I got from Member Doode - just to check. fits perfect, a little bent - but frankly bent correctly since the orig shifter is hell to get your foot under. I'll probably bend it back a little tho. Got a fresh(er) headlight bucket and instrument panel - as well as a new speedo - from Hamhock - many thanks.

Here's pics of the problem areas as of the crash. As I replace pieces I'll pic and give more info.
20171130_103543.jpg

20171130_103549.jpg

20171130_103555.jpg

20171130_103610.jpg

20171130_103616.jpg

Forgive what I think will be a messy pic display. - thanks for the tip Hamhock.

TO BE CLEAR - the bent to s**t foot peg in this pic is the wrecked one, not the replacement. That one is in much better shape :)

Talk tomorrow. Again, many thanks to you members.

·
Registered
459 Posts
You can clean up the way the pictures display by putting each pic on its own line and a line between them.

Glad to see progress so fast. You and the bike will be on the road in no time!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Started looking hard at pieces needed today, pulling off trashed pieces, bending sh*t into a reasonable angle. Things look good. Got forks, just need to slap the previous caps on 'em. Drain, refill oil.

The rest of the body looks ok - I can save the left fork ears/headlight holder with some bending (done) and some JB Weld. Not like it's a supporting wall or anything. Put on the left peg I got from Member Doode - just to check. fits perfect, a little bent - but frankly bent correctly since the orig shifter is hell to get your foot under. I'll probably bend it back a little tho. Got a fresh(er) headlight bucket and instrument panel - as well as a new speedo - from Hamhock - many thanks.
<SNIP>

Forgive what I think will be a messy pic display. - thanks for the tip Hamhock.

TO BE CLEAR - the bent to s**t foot peg in this pic is the wrecked one, not the replacement. That one is in much better shape :)

Talk tomorrow. Again, many thanks to you members.
I was looking for one of those bikes and saw your original ad, thought pretty hard about driving down and taking it off your hands, but am glad to see you decided to repair and move forward, you'll have much more fun! Good luck on your resurrection project, and yes you can have some more porridge (or grits if you prefer)... :) ...

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
1985 Nighthawk 450 - rebuild after a crash

Hey enb54 - welcome to the thread. Today I'd be willing to let you have it cheap. :)

Got the forks out, banged the dent out of the fender, did this and that. Went to put the new forks in and the triple tree alignment is off. So I guess they did get bent. With some muscle and a pipe wrench I "realigned" the bottom - got the right fork in but the left is still hinky. Just enough off that it doesn't slide in gently, may need to tweak it some more.

Question is - am I screwing up by bending that lower? Will it make it substantially less safe? I know anytime metal is bent one is basically is making it more malleable, in essence, more likely to fail - just wondering if the right thing to do is to get a new triple or carry on.

At least progress has been made, while not ultimately what I wanted to have done this weekend. 1/2" away from success. Damn you, metal.

The new Speedo/Tach plate is on. New foot peg, painted now. Banged out the dent in the fender favorably. Everything is going along swimmingly except that pesky triple-tree/fork config. Otherwise, she'd be ready to go with the exception of L turn signal (and post - shopping list is extending).

Here's some pics from today. More to come.

20180203_154304.jpg
20180203_154309.jpg
20180203_170713.jpg

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
You can have the steer stem/lower clamp if you want to come pick it up.
If you also wanted the top bridge then it would be $20.
Did you need anything else?

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks, Doode - I'll take you up on that. I may not need the top, but I'll buy it just in case. I'll give you a call. The only other things I can think of are - left front turn signal stem, this one's bent. Didn't think it was but it is - and possibly the bars, which may or may not be bent - but I was thinking about replacing them anyway.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Note that the CB450SC triple is slightly different than the CM's and CB's. No steering lock included since it's in the switch and the steering stops are slightly different as well.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts