Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys- First time posting and wanted to start with what I have heard is a common problem. Oil leak from the Countershaft onto the chain sprocket- makes a big mess that also gets oil on the rear tire and that can't be safe.

Unfortunately my Clymer Manual DOES NOT COVER replacing the seals (annoying) so I'm looking for some info on how to replace the (2) seals. Do they pull right out? Do I need any special tools?

I would greatly appreciate any feedback from anyone who has done this replacement.

thanks- mjaded

·
Sensei
27,161 Posts
The fiche shows a traditional flat sided rubber and steel cup seal.... You should be able to carefully drill a small hole in the seal to pry it/pull it out with a hooked tool..... Tap in a new seal with an appropriate size tube, socket, whatever..... Done.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
I am not familiar with your bike but once you get the sprocket off you should be able to drill a couple small holes in the face of the seal ( be careful not to go too deep or sideways, you only want to drill the seal ) then you can either get some seal pulling tools or I have also used some screws that I screwed into the holes to use as a grip to pull the seal out.
Take your time, be careful, you can do more damage then good if you get careless with the drill.
Don

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. Helps with the confidence to have some info up front. The Honda Parts guy told me I had (2) seals, One in Front of the other. Sounds like the outer one is no big deal to replace using the small drill hole tech. - How about the inner one? Definitely not looking to open up the case. And if the Outer fixes the leak maybe I'll just run it and not worry about the inner seal.

I also read that these seals blowing could mean that I have too much pressure in the case, like the breather is clogged up. Sound possible to you? I did notice that some oil pushes its way out of the filler Cap/ dipstick.

-mjaded

·
Sensei
27,161 Posts
My manual only shows one seal on the countershaft......The engine only takes 2.6 Qt. of oil for a normal oil change....3.5 is the capacity, but only after a total tear down... Too much oil alone can cause crankcase pressure to rise blowing seals.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts