Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. New to the forum. I just picked up a 85 cb 450 with the 16" rear comstar wheel and drum brakes.

Im trying to find out if there is any direct swap 16" spoked rear wheel to match the style of the front.

Thanks all

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
If you're talking about a CB450SC it should have come with comstar (or mag) wheels on both ends. Likely someone swapped out the front end with one of the CB/CM400/450 E model bikes. The CM400/450 E model bikes have a 16" rear wheel which should be a direct swap (Jim can confirm/correct this).

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
The 1985 CB450SC, aka Nighthawk 450, had the cast alloy wheels. Those started on that model in 1983. https://www.motorera.com/honda/h0450/nighthaw.htm
Wire spoke wheels were only found on the E model of the CM400 and 450 as 16" and the CB400T1 in 18".
The E wheel will fit properly in the Nighthawk swing arm. You will need to add a spacer to the front sprocket to move it in to maintain chain alignment, the counter/output shaft on the SC is 4.1 mm's longer. A 1" ID washer will do that for you after you drill 2 holes for the lock plate screws and get longer screws.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Here's a better idea of what i'm working with as it's a solid/bobbed rear frame. No swing Arm. I was hoping to find a direct replacement, but a spacer doesn't sound too bad. More importantly, will the drum brakes work with that rim? And does anyone know where to find one?

Thanksall

Tire Automotive tire Auto part Wheel Spoke

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Fuel tank

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
The photo links don't work. Photo Bucket has become a pay site if you wish to post to a 3rd party like this forum. If you have photo's on your computer you can upload them directly to this forum where they will exist forever.
All of the CM/CB 400/450 series are drum rear brake, it's only the T1 and E models that were drum front brake.
Check the Parts for sale section of this forum, eBay or salvage yards to find one.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Still no luck on finding a 400/450E rear wheel in good condition. Does anyone know if there are substitute wheels that will utilize the rear drum brakes?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Google "comstar to spoke conversion"

It seems some people have figured out how to reuse the comstar hub but lace it to a rim with spokes.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I've got a complete spoked/drum brake rear wheel from a 79 CB400T (as far as I know) Bearings and shoes are old but it's complete. I'll get some pics and weigh it. What's your location?

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Wheel Auto part Automotive wheel system Spoke Rim Wheel Auto part Automotive wheel system Spoke Rim Auto part Rim Wheel Tire Automotive wheel system Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle part Automotive tire

I didn't realize but it's a 1.85 x 18 The spokes are a little rusty, rim is pretty good but dirty, inside of the rim has some rusty spots and some large clean areas as well.
Sorry it's not a 16" but if you'd like the hub and brake panel without the spokes, hoop, shoes and sprocket... i can make that deal. Your axle and spacers should work but I'm not sure about the brake panel, anyone know?

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
The problem that is going to take place is the chain alignment. The CB450SC front sprocket is 4.2mm's out board of the CM450E and CM400E. This can be corrected by getting a offset sprocket from some one like PBI. It's not possible to space the rear sprocket out due to the design of the wheel

·
Registered
460 Posts
The problem that is going to take place is the chain alignment. The CB450SC front sprocket is 4.2mm's out board of the CM450E and CM400E. This can be corrected by getting a offset sprocket from some one like PBI. It's not possible to space the rear sprocket out due to the design of the wheel
Is this the same scenario that can be solved with a 1" ID washer with holes drilled in it?

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I'm not familiar with the 1" washer with holes drilled, could someone link me to that?

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
The 450's have 2 different length counter shafts. The CB450SC/Nighthawk one is 4.2mm's longer than the CM450 or any of the 400's. The washer is roughly 4mm's thick so that get the chain into closer alignment, not perfect but close. The washer is added between the sprocket and retainer clip spacing the sprocket inboard. The holes are drilled to match the 2 retainer bolt holes and 4-5mm longer screws are used.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a 16" wheel that came off of my CM450E and swapped with an 18" wheel.

It's in perfect condition as far as I'm concerned but it is painted black and I live in Ontario.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts