Honda Twins banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1985 450 hawk replacement tach and speedo

Hi there new to this and the bike!
Picked up a 85 450 hawk this week and was wondering if I could get some advice.
Besides the indicator and lights all the gauges are not working the tach wire in the cable is spinning but gauge does nothing and then the speedo wire in that cable is not spinning so I guess the piece at the wheel is shot...
Before I go fix them wanted to know if there were other gauges that I could replace the entire display with that is a easy retrofit?
Any help appreciated
Ray

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
It seems that the CB450SC Nighthawk speedos fail on a regular basis and their tach's aren't much better. You can use any of the earlier model gauges from 1978 thru 86 for the CM/CB 400/450 series.
Most common problem with the speedo cable not spinning is the drive washer in the wheel wasn't positioned correctly the last time the wheel was off. Cable broken is next.
BTW: welcome aboard. You might post a Member Intro in that section and we do like to see pictures also. You can add your location to your profile and that sometimes will help in getting local assistance or other help.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It seems that the CB450SC Nighthawk speedos fail on a regular basis and their tach's aren't much better. You can use any of the earlier model gauges from 1978 thru 86 for the CM/CB 400/450 series.
Most common problem with the speedo cable not spinning is the drive washer in the wheel wasn't positioned correctly the last time the wheel was off. Cable broken is next.
BTW: welcome aboard. You might post a Member Intro in that section and we do like to see pictures also. You can add your location to your profile and that sometimes will help in getting local assistance or other help.
Ok thanks ! I like the cb750 dials with integrated neutral etc lights but I guess I can't use those ?
Will do intro !

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
"With the proper application of time and money anything can be done" In this case time and some money. Honda wiring codes are the same on the bikes, Green is Ground, Black is switched power, Red is battery power, etc. So that simplifies the wiring. Then it's the mounting, a little fabrication and you should be set.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts