Honda Twins banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, all. I've been riding for 2 years now. I learned on a 2003 Honda rebel, then bought my first bike: My dad's old 1984 Honda VT500FT Ascot he had when I was a kid (and sold when I turned 16 so I wouldn't ride it). I tracked down the owner and bought it for $600. It had been sitting in an open garage for several years, so it's been a lot of work. It now has a new brake rotor, rebuilt carbs, rebuilt master brake cylinder, new turn signal stalks, and a replaced power chamber (the original rusted out and I found one in good shape in Florida). It looks a little rough but the gas tank is rust-free and it runs great.

It has two current problems. The first is the right fork leaks (I've replaced the seals twice, it makes no difference). There is some pitting on the stanchion. I tried the epoxy/sanding trick to no avail.

The second is the tachometer doesn't work. I replaced the tach cable but that didn't make any difference. I've calculated the max speeds of each gear at redline based on gear ratios, so it's not that big of a deal, but it still bothers me. The downside is replacing the whole cluster would change the odometer.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Welcome - and yes, pictures are a must here, you will be pestered until you produce them... because we have a saying around here - no pictures, it didn't happen :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts