Honda Twins banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My apologies of this is already covered in another thread, I had a quick look and didn't find anything.

Hello, It is time for a new battery for my bike and I want to go with a Lithium Ion solution rather than a traditional lead acid one.
I am having difficulty finding a compatible Lithium Ion unit online, this may be due to my unfamiliarity with motorcycle battery form factors and all the different reference numbers involved or it may be because I am a dog trying to use the internet.

Questions:
1: Can anyone recommend a specific Lithium Ion battery I should purchase?
2: If you are currently running a Lithium Ion setup, do you have anything you would like to share?

Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Thanks.
-Waggable

·
Registered
343 Posts
If you use that battery you will need to up-grade your rectifier/regulator to
a modern unit. Others will comment soon on this subject.

·
Registered
9,797 Posts
Did you see the date on that post, Old Oakie?

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Dan, did you think it was an old post? Because it showed up as a new post to me and the time says 4:54 AM today. Not sure a dog would understand the lithium ion experience I have though... I've never seen a dog sitting upright on a full-sized bike either, to be honest

·
Registered
9,797 Posts
You're right, Tom. It NOW says today, but originally it was still 2012...lol.
These bikes with stock electrics, (reg/rec), can put out 15.5v. That is way over most lithium ion battery's limits AFAIK.
I caution you to check with the manufacturer first.

Reactions: Waggable

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dan, did you think it was an old post? Because it showed up as a new post to me and the time says 4:54 AM today. Not sure a dog would understand the lithium ion experience I have though... I've never seen a dog sitting upright on a full-sized bike either, to be honest
I'd be interested in hearing about your experience with lithium ion, please do tell.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Sort of a short thread on the Lithium Ion battery, just throwing in my opinion. My experience with the Lithium Polymer (very similar) is that charging and recharging must be religiously followed and that usually means a microcontroller controlled charging regime, not very practical in older Honda motorcycle charging systems. I personally would just go for a well maintained regular charging system plus an ordinary lead acid battery, but if you want the high tech alternative you are welcome to charge forward (no pun intended). Just be aware that the newer battery technologies are not as forgiving of the older charging systems as you might have been led to believe.

Reactions: dtsmjr8dan

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Just be aware that the newer battery technologies are not as forgiving of the older charging systems as you might have been led to believe.
This is why I recommend upgrading to a MOSFET type regulator for the SOHC's

·
Registered
632 Posts
just make sure you are aware they catch fire.. internally.....
Ive had two now.
One caught fire.
the new one they sent me
left it under 11 volts for 48hours.
dead.

they are fragile.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I found some on eBay. But for cheap.
Should I try it or should I buy the expensive one? I'm afraid the cheap ones are rubbish.

My battery should be loaded at max 14.9v..
So when my engine is running I'm going to check the voltage....when it exceeds I'm buying a mosfet one

·
Registered
118 Posts
There are a number of products called "lithium batteries".

I would only consider a lithium iron phosphate version given the current state of the art. These are as rugged as lead acid and are not sensitive to overcharging - plus they do not spontaneously ignite. You can still find them cheap on Ebay - I have three in my bikes, and brought one back last spring after a complete discharge down to about 4 volts.

Here's some info I found on the interweb -

https://www.powerstream.com/LLLF.htm

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.