Honda Twins banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks

I have a 1984 CB400N with clip-ons (Cafe Racer style). I had a problem with a temperamental starter button so took clip-on off the forks, removed the throttle and brake lever assembly (as this give more flexible movement when off the clip-on).
I removed the top plastic cover of the twist grip throttle handlebar control (the bit with the on/off electrical switch) and found a lose wire which was causing the starter button issue. Fixed that issue and put everything back together but now the throttle wont twist, at all. It's stuck in the closed position.
I started the bike and was able to rev the engine manually by hand at the carb. The bike is well used and nothing is seized.
The push cable visually seems a little slack at the carb but not having noted it before I can't compare it to how it was before. It doesn't appear to be a push cable issue as the throttle seems to be stuck in the closed position.

Is this a throttle opening cable issue? is there anyway I could have just misaligned things at the bar throttle assembly end? I only removed the top section of the throttle handlebar control (the bit with the on/off electrical switch) to get to the wiring. I didn't forcibly pull the cables.

Any suggestion much appreciated.

Thanks, Dan.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Try loosening the housing with the kill switch and brake lever and sliding it just a bit to the right (outboard) on the handlebar.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I inspected and tried the above suggestion but still stuck. I removed the cabs and was then able to check that the push cable is free in the cable sleeve but the pull cable is jammed. Guessing could be frayed and wedged or jammed into the cable sleeve somehow. I've ordered a new pull cable and will updated once replaced and tested. Thanks for taking the time to reply guys. All the best, Dan.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi folks

New push and pull cables arrived and I fitted the new pull cable and that cured the problem. Strange how it wasn't snapped it was just stuck in the sleeve.
My issue now is getting the throttle to snap closed correctly. If the bars/front wheel is straight (not turned left or right) then it closes quickly and correctly but if the bars/wheel is turned left or right its a manual effort to close the throttle.
The bike is in cafe racer form so I'm guessing the clip on's aren't helping here. I wonder if a cable re-route might help but would be trial and error.
Any suggestions or photos of how you guys route your throttle cables? is this 'tweakable' by cable tension adjustment?

Some pics of how mine are routed currently...

IMG_6907.JPG IMG_6908.JPG IMG_6909.JPG

Many thanks, Dan.

·
Registered
761 Posts
As its a "special", you may have to alter the relative lengths of the outer and inner cables, bespoke.

It should snap shut if you let go of the twist grip, sprung loaded carb end, irrespective of handle bar position, but as its a pull close system, perhaps your safety tester will allow it, I would not.

The arrangement uses the pull to open and pull to close system as a fear of carb iceing problems ( freezed open ), or was it fashion.

See the brake hose route also.

I suspect the bike has 2 front forks?

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
On the left side, do the cables follow the frame through the upper engine mounts? Going around the left upper engine mount creates a sharp turn for the cable.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies guys.
@drydreamer: same length of cable on the replacement that the one that was on previously was and that did snapshot. And yes it does run better with the other fork leg in :)

@dtsmjr8dan: Good point. I've had the carbs and then the engine mounts out for a good clean and I may well have rooted the cables around that upper engine mount rather than through them. I will check tomorrow.

Cheers, Dan.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Hi folks

Throttle action is now ok after a cable re-route.
First picture shows the way I had incorrectly routed after replacing the cables and second picture shows how they should be, or at least what's working for me now.
Doesn't seem like much but initially I had routed around the braided brake hose which just shorted the cable when the bars were turned left or right. Moving inside this and next to the head stock resolved the issue. Throttle now snaps open and shut whether the bars are fully turned left, centred or fully right.
It's a relief but has been good learning how to do it wrong and then correcting.

@dtsmjr8dan: The cables curve into the carbs just before the engine mount rather than sharp left and through the mount. Very good check as would be easy to pass them through without really thinking.

Big thanks or your help guys.

Dan.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts